rack and pinion swap.

General information for parts interchange and modification.

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

connor72

rack and pinion swap.

Post by connor72 »

Hello fellas,
On the old site I remember seeing a few rack and pinion write ups. One I believe someone did it on an old 70s corolla using a starlet rack and pinion. If the author of those write ups would happen to have the info/ pictures still I would highly appreciate it. I tired of turning my wheel half a turn before the car turns :D thanks in advance.
BOBLOOK

Re: rack and pinion swap.

Post by BOBLOOK »

That was user; 20VBTPeanut with his project build topic; My 20V BT 74 Peanut

The day we learn to think
BOBLOOK

Post by BOBLOOK »

http://s306.photobucket.com/user/vercju ... =3&page=14

His phobucket is set for public so you can brows true them ;)
connor72 wrote:Hello fellas,
On the old site I remember seeing a few rack and pinion write ups. One I believe someone did it on an old 70s corolla using a starlet rack and pinion. If the author of those write ups would happen to have the info/ pictures still I would highly appreciate it. I tired of turning my wheel half a turn before the car turns :D thanks in advance.
connor72

Post by connor72 »

Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for. Time to gather parts for the summer build. ;) I feel like its harder to find parts then it is to actually build when it comes to these cars :lol: I also found a few pictures of someone using a aw11 rack. I have no idea the difference in size between starlet and mr2 racks but I know mr2's are much easier to find. Again. Thanks for the info.
BOBLOOK

Post by BOBLOOK »

Your welcome for wat car are you plan to do this conversion ??
connor72 wrote:Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for. Time to gather parts for the summer build. ;) I feel like its harder to find parts then it is to actually build when it comes to these cars :lol: I also found a few pictures of someone using a aw11 rack. I have no idea the difference in size between starlet and mr2 racks but I know mr2's are much easier to find. Again. Thanks for the info.
connor72

Post by connor72 »

It's a 1972 te27. I'm also thinking about going 20v for ease of use and because I want a DD. So I might pm you in the coming months to ask about your peanut in the future. thanks again
lopez286

Post by lopez286 »

if your going to do the swap on a te27 I suggest you just find a starlet rack its better to work with the aw is longer, I did this swap on my car if you can get the steering column from a starlet that would help to
connor72

Post by connor72 »

I figured the starlet would work better. Too bad. I've seen quite a few mr2s in the junk yard. Can't say the same about the starlet though. I could just buy a new rack and pinion and stuff. Talk about $$$ :shock:
BOBLOOK

Post by BOBLOOK »

I don't own an peanut :lol:
connor72 wrote:It's a 1972 te27. I'm also thinking about going 20v for ease of use and because I want a DD. So I might pm you in the coming months to ask about your peanut in the future. thanks again
connor72

Post by connor72 »

Well shoot. I feel stupid now. :lol: I read your first post wrong. :oops: