NME308's 3TC Turbo TA23 Celica

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

NME308

Re: NME308's 3TC Turbo TA23 Celica

Post by NME308 »

So I lucked out with the center console...

Toyota has no stock of the console to suit optional 3 speed with lightning rod shifters...

None on evilbay either...

:( :( :(

So I have to make my own!

I started by making the original 5 speed factory console look a tad more how wanted with tape and cardboard and flopped a fiberglass cover of it. The plan is to slot the top of the extra box thingy for the shift levers to protrude through without showing the linkages etc.

Much finishing work to do of course!

Cheers,
Jason
NME308

Post by NME308 »

Been a while finishing off little stuff and saving dollars for the trimmings of the build etc.
I would have attempted to fire up over a week ago except a stupid mistake on my part took out the crank trigger input on my Haltech so I had to send it off for repair - lucky I am in Australia huh?? :lol:

So here is how the under hood looks as of now:

Fingers crossed next weekend I may get a chance to try fire up all depending on whether the ecu is repaired and so on.

Cheers,
Jason
NME308

Post by NME308 »

Feeling slightly underwhelmed...
It took 12hrs today to make my engine fire up.
At 10pm it ran for 10 seconds at idle then backfired when I touched the throttle. The late hour and the rather hektic kabooooooom followed by 250 dogs all barking at once made me decide to pack it in for the night.

I am completely stuffed as to why my carefully written program over the last few months would not work. I could have sworn the instructions say to set up the 4 trigger crank signal and single cam signal inputs in a particular way. This however resulted in two firing events for each supplied home position signal which should NOT be possible in direct fire mode. Before that point I had to replace a Hall Effect home position sensor with a magnetic sensor robbed from a dizzy as the Hall sensor would happily go low all by itself at random times - I may have fried it at some point a few weeks back?? Trying to follow the instructions for timing of the home signal and tooth offset was a nightmare in technicolour with bizarre results for where the ecu would decide cyl 1 should be fired. A good mate of mine came over to work the key for me while I was able then to crawl in and out of the car to the oscilloscope and the timing light etc. After many hours of frustration we put some settings into the ecu which theoretically should not work and then we were able to gradually work out coaxing the timing to within the vicinity of where it should be amid many backfires from both ends... To make things stupidly complicated the halwin software will not show the trigger and home signals in either the diagnostic page or the data logs... The oscilloscope indicates the signals at the ecu plug are fine and dandy but the ecu seems to disagree so I have downloaded the DOS version of the software and dosbox in the hope it may be able to tell me what the ecu is seeing.

So while having the engine start and idle finally is a BIG win I am struggling to get past the bit where the settings needed in the trigger inputs are half what they should be and the tooth offset turns out double the set amount by the time the spark is thrown... :?

Today is a new day so I will try catch a few zeds and have a fresh look when I awake! :)

Cheers,
Jason
NME308

Post by NME308 »

So that video is where I got up to by Sunday night! :D

The kinda halfa success from Saturday night refused to be built upon come sunday... I took a late lunch and did an internet seminar on voltage drop and fault finding and then took a look at the instructions for my MSD signal convertor device (magnetic to square wave) and got on the MSD forum and decided it had no place in this system. After running a fresh new power feed for the ecu from the battery instead of the starter terminal and ditching the signal convertor I reloaded the original tune I had come up with over the last few months. It still took quite some stuffing around with signal edges and sync position but it now fires and runs. :cool:

Still have to sort out a carb flooding issue - could be anything as I didn't bother with it till now.

Back to work today for a break! ;)

Cheers,
Jason
hemilove

Post by hemilove »

That is a super clean coil set up. Gm right
NME308

Post by NME308 »

hemilove wrote:That is a super clean coil set up. Gm right
Thank you!
They are the Mercury Marine IGN-1A coil all the big names are rebadging. I got these from diyautotune. These coils have been proven to 2000hp on alcohol in blown V8 engines so I am hoping they will do the moderate job I plan to ask!

Cheers,
Jason
Last edited by NME308 on Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Toyota1515

Post by Toyota1515 »

Awesome Jason!
SF5 FOZZY
NME308

Post by NME308 »

Thank you!

I sorted the fuel bowl flooding issue. Next up I have found at idle the boosters are all dribbling merrily. Maybe too much vent pressure from my experimental system or the usual suspects of problem gaskets or hsab's too small. After about 3 startups last night my battery went instant dead, so more carb tuning another day!

Cheers,
Jason
Toyota1515

Post by Toyota1515 »

U know Jason they said,,, murphy's law always hunt hot roders, is our job to turn it the other way around! :lol: ;)
SF5 FOZZY
gotae86

Post by gotae86 »

This project is awesome!