Head Gasket sealant?

Webers, Cam selection and Ignition upgrades.

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

VinceG2

Head Gasket sealant?

Post by VinceG2 »

I am changing out the head gasket on my '75 Corolla with 2T-C engine. Is there a sealant or RTV too be added with the gasket? My friend has mentioned some sort of sealant his dad has from years ago, dunno what it is.

I have looked online, but have only found the stuff like Permatex Copper, that is not recommended for head gaskets, or that crap junk you pour in the engine like BlueDevil, that you use instead of properly replacing the gasket.

I already have the head off and resurfaced, valve job done and almost ready to put back in.

What do you all recommend with the new gasket?
head_gasket.JPG
head_gasket.JPG (78.97 KiB) Viewed 10080 times
RYSO

Re: Head Gasket sealant?

Post by RYSO »

A healthy dose of Permatex Copper spray (both sides ofcourse)!

RYSO.
R Y S O - T E C H
Home of the fastest bikes and cars
RYSO-TECH Starlet 9.03sec @ 150mph
Official Haltech dealer, Certified tuner
Dynojet 224 chassis dyno
VinceG2

Post by VinceG2 »

Ok, thanks! Ordered some of the spray online, should get it Friday.

I also bought new studs for the Exhaust. The people who previously worked on the car did not put the studs back, but used a mish-mash of bolts of various sizes. So I'll replace those with the proper exhaust studs and I think I should be good to go then!

Can anyone tell me what this port on the back of the head is for? I have seen it on all images of the heads, but nothing ever connected to it. Is this some sort of service port to clean the inside out or something? I do have a gasket for it in my full engine gasket set.
Hatch01.JPG
Hatch01.JPG (81.02 KiB) Viewed 10066 times
toyotero2dend

Post by toyotero2dend »

Copper spray on both sides and let it sit for about 5min. Then place it on the block and install the cylinder head
Tate Quieto
BOBLOOK

Post by BOBLOOK »

Sealant lol :roll: :roll: surface most be clean :lol: :lol:
The day we learn to think
tavirace

Post by tavirace »

I would check with the manufacturer of the gasket such as Fel-Pro.I've never used any sealer with a composite gasket,I just get it very clean and wipe the surfaces not the gasket with brakeclean to remove any oil prior to assembly.With a steel shim gasket I spray the gasket with silver paint and let it set 5 minutes.
toyotero2dend

Post by toyotero2dend »

Oops my bad copper spray is for metal gasket,,what tavirace say is the correct way
Tate Quieto
BOBLOOK

Post by BOBLOOK »

That way i was learned clean surface and multipurpose cleaner and tight down ;)
tavirace wrote:I would check with the manufacturer of the gasket such as Fel-Pro.I've never used any sealer with a composite gasket,I just get it very clean and wipe the surfaces not the gasket with brakeclean to remove any oil prior to assembly.With a steel shim gasket I spray the gasket with silver paint and let it set 5 minutes.
The day we learn to think
gzus13

Post by gzus13 »

I've used the copper spray with good results on metal head gaskets. I've got a few buddies that have also had success on other types of gaskets too. The spray also helps hold things in place during assembly.