weber 40 set up, need help

Webers, Cam selection and Ignition upgrades.

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

kazeron

weber 40 set up, need help

Post by kazeron »

I just picked up some sweet italian weber 40s, spotless inside and out. I'm going to be honest, I'm young so carbs is a new game for me, but I'm not an idiot. would just like expert guidance so I dont waste any time/money. I just ordered my manifold, carb synch tool, and the standard linkage kit (the one with the bar over the top.) My questions are, for a currently stock engine, what jet sizes would I want? Also I'm a bit confused on how the throttle cable will work with the linkage kit. From images that i see online, people have a set up connected to the firewall with more linkages involved but it seems like an older style without a throttle cable. The top/bottom mount throttle style seems very nice too, but I already ordered the other style so a bit of slight regret. Also will my current mechanical fuel pump work out for these carbs for now and just go electric fuel pump when I do more engine mods? What other parts do I need to buy? Still got some money left over, I've been saving for a long time to finally get this carb set up, I'm extremely excited. This is the picture of my carbs and currently how my engine is, fresh rebuild and cleaned up. Information would be greatly appreciated.

BOBLOOK

Re: weber 40 set up, need help

Post by BOBLOOK »

Nice setup but don't ask me about the jets size :( but you didn't mention to have the intake for mounting those weber? The regulator you have work fine you can get a blue holley fuelpump electrical. Do you know what modification setup the previous had to determine the jets? An Msd ignitoin will give you an happier throttle response .
The day we learn to think
Toyota1515

Post by Toyota1515 »

Every engine is different and in different places cars are at different altitudes so the same engine will not work with the same setup equally in every place with that said, i suggest you to install em synchronize them and go with the ol trick of reading spark plugs, or go with a wide band reader/gauge to tune em the perfect way, they will perform good right after you tune em and you wont be disappointed, they tolerate climate and altitude changes as well as barometric changes but not drastically, these are not EFI regardless they will perform like such when at peak/perfect operation conditions,

Go slowly on changes and do so one thing at a time, and document what you did so you have a log of such changes, is fun and you will learn a lot on the fly trust me,

You can use your factory mechanical fuel pump on a factory setup, as they just need from 4 to 6 PSI to function perfect, when problems arrise on mechanical pumps is when cams and performance upgrades come in play with higher RPM's the fuel pump actuator shaft floats over the cam lobe and decrease the pressure eventually, you will learn, have fun and keep us updated in this!
SF5 FOZZY
kazeron

Post by kazeron »

Toyota1515- ya thats what I was thinking, I wont need to go electric until I start doing some internal work, which will be down the line. I'll stick with the factory jets and tune them, If anything needs to drastically change, I"ll order more parts. I have high comp pistons and a stage 3 cam, but I'm not ready to throw those in just yet.

boblook- When i mentioned manifold, I ment intake manifold, I ordered it and should be here within a few weeks. All the jets are the ones they normally come with. By MSD you mean the 6A box? I just got the MSD coil about a week ago, huge upgrade from my failing stock coil that had excessive resistance on the primary side.
kazeron

Post by kazeron »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Weber-40-45-DCO ... ed&vxp=mtr

Are these the levers I need for a throttle cable?
Toyota1515

Post by Toyota1515 »

kazeron wrote:http://www.ebay.com/itm/Weber-40-45-DCO ... ed&vxp=mtr

Are these the levers I need for a throttle cable?
yes also there is a center hung linkage that dont need the complicated & expensive rod linkage set up and is way easier to adjust, plus comes with a throttle cable attachment. like this one!

Click on picture to see the linkage it goes right betwine both carbs makin the back carb the master one any way you attach the throttle cable to that carb the other follows thru!,

By the way the Ebay vendor alfa1750 got em brand new from italy he is the man with all the Webber, Solex, Dellorto carb needs tell him Toyota1515 sent you to him!
SF5 FOZZY
kazeron

Post by kazeron »

Wow thats awesome, waayy less moving parts, now i regret ordering the the bar style, gonna need to resell it for a loss. Is this all the parts I'll need in the link? I couldent find your alfa friend on ebay.

http://www.piercemanifolds.com/product_p/pm3719.htm
kazeron

Post by kazeron »

Also, Love the video, gives me goosebumps hearing those carbs. Hard to find clean/clear videos of the 3tc, especially non-turbo
Toyota1515

Post by Toyota1515 »

kazeron wrote:Wow thats awesome, waayy less moving parts, now i regret ordering the the bar style, gonna need to resell it for a loss. Is this all the parts I'll need in the link? I couldent find your alfa friend on ebay.

http://www.piercemanifolds.com/product_p/pm3719.htm
Yes those are the only parts you need,

Here is my pal E-gay store, lol

http://stores.ebay.com/ALFA1750S-CARBUR ... 7675.l2563
SF5 FOZZY
Toyota1515

Post by Toyota1515 »

kazeron wrote:Also, Love the video, gives me goosebumps hearing those carbs. Hard to find clean/clear videos of the 3tc, especially non-turbo
Thanks thats a little 3tc i build here with a crane cam and many other goodies, carbs are solex 40's i bought from my Alfa1750 guy, he send em already jetted for all the goodies and i just need to tweak em just a little pretty much install em and thats it, he is good.
SF5 FOZZY