3TC Turbo ?'s

Webers, Cam selection and Ignition upgrades.

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

skellington

Re: 3TC Turbo ?'s

Post by skellington »

Nice. TY for that info. WAIT! you are the owner of the blue celica that drag raced with the trim falling off the side! You have to remake or dig up your old thread.
WarWagn

Post by WarWagn »

So what kind of power can you expect out of a bone stock 3TC turbo. If I could get 200-250whp out of the stock motor while I'm building a forged motor that would be great.

Another question that hasn't been touched yet here; what manual trans would most use for 400+ whp? w series supra trans?
1980 TE72 Wagon.

Instagram @wagonsteeze
NME308

Post by NME308 »

Haha yes skellington that would be my blue celica falling apart... :oops: You forgot the large patches of surface rust and crazed paint. :shock: :lol: I have been too lazy to put up another thread cos I was kinda hoping the original files would turn back up. One day I'll get another one up!

WarWagon there is a fellow here in Australia I keep an eye on who has had a presence on the old forums here by the name of Hurricane or Hurricanedan with an otherwise bog stock 3TC with EFI turbo. He used to push up to 25psi boost for short bursts and I'd be very surprised if 220+rwhp was not there! It was an unknown 2nd hand engine when he started and it always had low oil pressure. Eventually after a few years I think a bearing spun and he has been too busy playing with a turbo V8 project to get back to the 3TC...

Cheers,
Jaosn
WarWagn

Post by WarWagn »

What manual trans would be best to use? I was gathering info on a W58, but it seems they like to crap out around 400whp (in a much heavier mk4 supra of course).

Are there any other options to handle that kind of power and abuse?
1980 TE72 Wagon.

Instagram @wagonsteeze
BOBLOOK

Post by BOBLOOK »

After the W58 only the expensive R154 is option :cry:

The mazda turbo II box you can sent it to Jerico to have the internal upgrade but that cost over 2000$$
WarWagn wrote:What manual trans would be best to use? I was gathering info on a W58, but it seems they like to crap out around 400whp (in a much heavier mk4 supra of course).

Are there any other options to handle that kind of power and abuse?
The day we learn to think
WarWagn

Post by WarWagn »

BOBLOOK wrote:After the W58 only the expensive R154 is option :cry:

The mazda turbo II box you can sent it to Jerico to have the internal upgrade but that cost over 2000$$
I've sourced a couple of R154 trans locally for around $900, almost triple the cost of a W58. I think I'll try my luck with a W58 and see how far it goes before it breaks. Some Supra owners are making 450whp without problem, and that's a 3400+ lb car. I think the W58 should be substantial at 500whp in a 2500lb Corolla as long as it's not launched hard on slicks.
1980 TE72 Wagon.

Instagram @wagonsteeze
mikealike

Post by mikealike »

Toyota1515 wrote:Bad thing about them 8.8 is that u will have to spend twice if you want to get rid of the C-Clips that are just a POS, with a MOPAR 8.75 from an old 70 or earlier Dodge u can do narrow it and keep the housing ends and the same axles and just change the ring and pinion and trow all u want at it it will stand anything on stock configuration!
hey hey now, c- clips have never failed!!!! all you have to do is to put the fold big ends on the 8.8 rear to eliminate the c clips.
Tuner, Builder and Racer. Hit me up for all you needs 2/3tc, 3SGTE or 2RZ custom fabbed parts.
Paypal luzunaris99@gmail.com
Toyota1515

Post by Toyota1515 »

mikealike wrote:
Toyota1515 wrote:Bad thing about them 8.8 is that u will have to spend twice if you want to get rid of the C-Clips that are just a POS, with a MOPAR 8.75 from an old 70 or earlier Dodge u can do narrow it and keep the housing ends and the same axles and just change the ring and pinion and trow all u want at it it will stand anything on stock configuration!
hey hey now, c- clips have never failed!!!! all you have to do is to put the fold big ends on the 8.8 rear to eliminate the c clips.
Ford big end is the only way to go with them! ;)
That means you need new housing ends $100 and new axles that fit the housing ends :D !
SF5 FOZZY
toyotero2dend

Post by toyotero2dend »

Question for you guys ,,,,if the 8.8 was fitted with disc brake,,,in the event of c clip fail,,,wouldn't the caliper hold the rotor in place and the axle won't pop out???
Tate Quieto
Toyota1515

Post by Toyota1515 »

toyotero2dend wrote:Question for you guys ,,,,if the 8.8 was fitted with disc brake,,,in the event of c clip fail,,,wouldn't the caliper hold the rotor in place and the axle won't pop out???
Yeap, BUT, it will hold so far, if is in a race track, u only coast straight if is in the street is a whole other story depends the situation! ;) ;) ;)
SF5 FOZZY