front strut question

General information for parts interchange and modification.

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

skellington

front strut question

Post by skellington »

I am gathering parts for home made coilovers on my 1976 te31. I will be going to the parts yard tomorrow to see if I can find another set of struts, so I can build one set while the others remain in the car. on the event that I can't find a car of my era, would struts of a 1980's corolla work if I changed the steering arm(not sure of part name) with mine? Are the strut tubes interchangable above the plate that the steering connects to? I plan to use mr2 sw20 rears for the insert.
skellington

Re: front strut question

Post by skellington »

What I am asking is- From this point up, does a newer strut use this same pattern? If I could do a front disc swap with the strut it might make it more worth it to find a newer corolla to snag parts from.
BOBLOOK

Post by BOBLOOK »

If you not gone doing brake upgrade just coil over you existing ones not all knuckles are interchangeable or you may need an adapter you can find drilled and slotted brake disc.
The day we learn to think
cousin eddy

Post by cousin eddy »

I have a set off an '82 Celica that have a larger brake setup that I'm making into coil overs. Much easier to find than an AE86 and they look to mount onto the knuckle the same way and even take the same size cartridge. Only issue is the spring size is much larger but since you're doing coil overs it should work fine.
skellington

Post by skellington »

Will 1982 cressida struts work? they appear to have the same bolt patterns, but come with larger vented brake rotors.
cousin eddy

Post by cousin eddy »

I'm not sure I've never seen the cressida struts up close and inspected them.
toyota_james

Post by toyota_james »

The Cressida should have very similar struts to the same year Celica Supra as the Cressida is designed off the same chassis. Basically it's a four door Supra.