Automatic transmission

Webers, Cam selection and Ignition upgrades.

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

cnister1

Automatic transmission

Post by cnister1 »

here's another question for you guys!
is there a automatic transmission with OD that will bolt on to the back of the 3tc motor?
cnister1

Re: Automatic transmission

Post by cnister1 »

Ok how about a A40 to A40D transmission swap? would this be a straight bolt in swap! I'm trying to keep my cruiser an automatic and the A40D has overdrive and would keep the hwy engine rpm low!
any thoughts on this one? I know the 5 speed manual swap is the most popular but!!!!
marsmann

Post by marsmann »

Admittedly, I don't play with the autos much. Are the two trannies the same length? You may have other problems to consider such as driveshaft length and cross member if it is longer. It would bolt up fine on the front end but may not line up with the body. I think the OD makes them taller too. I dont have pics to compare unfortunately.

Also, be careful with the bell housings. I'm not sure what year your car is and what year the A40D is from but the bell housings may differ. Your gear shifter may also differ.

Do you have pics you can share of both trannies?
NME308

Post by NME308 »

Hi there mate,
Whatever auto's (one of which was the A340e according to wikipedia) were bolted up behind the 1G family of 2 liter 6 cylinder engines will bolt straight up to the 3TC.

I have never tried one to know about anything flex plate related however. May need a custom one? Then there is the electronics or lack thereof to consider as once again I don't know that one...

Cheers,
Jason