79 Corolla Wagon Stock Fuel System?

Webers, Cam selection and Ignition upgrades.

Moderators: AE25, BOBLOOK, pufito18

brianfxt

79 Corolla Wagon Stock Fuel System?

Post by brianfxt » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:34 pm

I am a bit confused about the fuel system on my 79 Corolla wagon. When I took it all apart, my fuel pump had 3 lines on it. One was a feed from the tank, one was going to the carb, and the third went to a mysterious line at the firewall. I immediately assumed this was a return line but my service manual from 79 is saying the system should be returnless. The pictures also show a completely different fuel pump design to what I actually have on my car.

My current pump looks like this:

I am trying to swap to an electric inline pump and external fuel pressure regulator for my Weber carb and I was going to plumb the return for the regulator into this factory third, smaller diameter line that was connected to the fuel pump. However, I am having my doubts as to whether or not this is actually a return or if it could possibly be something else. Also, there is a another small diameter hard line at the firewall connected to what I assumed to be the charcoal canister (mounted low down by the strut tower) - but even this I am not sure about as my manual says liftbacks have the canister closer to the front bumper and mentions nothing about wagons.

Can anyone tell me if I am safe returning the regulator bypass through this small diameter hardline going to the back of the car? Thank you all for your time and help!