OST-028: Redline it baby....

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

oldeskewltoy

Re: OST-028: Redline it baby....

Post by oldeskewltoy »

from another forum wrote: Under "choice" you mean question where to grind head up/down/both sides?
yes..... Any porter will tell you if you must open (change) a port... TRY to do so by decreasing the angle to the valve.

So the port roof will be tapered to match the roof of the T3 delete plate....

view on far left shows stock shape, center view shows what I normally do with a largeport, and finally in the far right view the dotted line shows what I'll be doing in this case.

exhaust port 2 in transition

oldeskewltoy

Post by oldeskewltoy »

from another forum wrote:Lookit you and these fancy transition pictures!!! lol
what can I say... :)

#3 intake - bowls and seats roughed out....

a LOT of material was removed from that right side bowl (#5 valve)

More to come.... :mrgreen:
oldeskewltoy

Post by oldeskewltoy »

bowl #4 as it grows from 24.8mm to 26.2mm

oldeskewltoy

Post by oldeskewltoy »

Shaping #1 intake bowls/short radii

and with the intake bowls and seats finished...

Oh... the exhaust bowls, seats and ports are now done as well :D

Next will come a bit of deshrouding.....

More to come..... :mrgreen:
hemilove

Post by hemilove »

I like your pics very nice keep up the good work
oldeskewltoy

Post by oldeskewltoy »

hemilove wrote:I like your pics very nice keep up the good work
thanks..........

So with the ports nearly finished... I proceed to the chamber work. Basic, or minimum deshrouding to start....

... but more will be required...

...because we have already lost some of our volume.... this head has likely been cut .012"-.014"........

More to come..... :mrgreen:
oldeskewltoy

Post by oldeskewltoy »

oldeskewltoy wrote:

...because we have already lost some of our volume.... this head has likely been cut .012"-.014"........
but the surface has some flaws... and the finish on the cut is not as good as I like to have...

So the added cut cost me and my client .004"...

... but now I have a final surface I'll fit the valves and get chamber volumes..... and proceed with final chamber sizing

but... we have a problem.... remember how well this was all packed? Well the valves were packed in individual marked bags.

Each bag contained a valve, a spring, a retainer, a spring seat, and 2 keepers, a lifter/bucket, and a shim. It appeared that the valves had previous been machined as well... not just clean, but machined.

Since this was the first head I had accepted that had come with valves already machined, and me, being careful, I had the guys @ Loynings check the valves for me.... just in case.

It was a good thing I did... 12 of the 16 valves are either ever so slightly bent, OR they were machined incorrectly

There is a .003" "wobble" to the above valve. Acceptable "wobble" is .001". Of the 12 valves out of spec, they range from .002" to .004".

The valves may be able to be re-cut, but the few that are the furthest out might not get concentric before I run out of margin (edge of valve). So I've recommended to my client I can supply him with 16 good used valves that I'll have cut to specification... OR the client can opt for Supertech valves. I await his decision....

more to come........ :mrgreen:
oldeskewltoy

Post by oldeskewltoy »

oldeskewltoy wrote:
So I've recommended to my client I can supply him with 16 good used valves that I'll have cut to specification...

going through some exhaust valves... looking for valves with a good margin - over 1mm, so they can be cut and still have enough margin for durability. Did the same with intakes...

more to come.... :mrgreen:
hemilove

Post by hemilove »

wow that's a lot of valves very professional work I see you are up to spec on your building that's good to see man keep up the good work
Toyota1515

Post by Toyota1515 »

I just curious here why spending all this effort in the head and leaving the stock valves instead of installing Stainless ones?
SF5 FOZZY