OST-028: Redline it baby....

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

oldeskewltoy

Re: OST-028: Redline it baby....

Post by oldeskewltoy »

Toyota1515 wrote:I just curious here why spending all this effort in the head and leaving the stock valves instead of installing Stainless ones?
assume you mean Supertech?

Cost - $200 (for 16 used valves and grind) vs $350+ (supertech valves, shipping, check and setting the valve to the seats)

The OEM 4AG stuff with a proper grind is decent... below is the exhaust valves far left stock, center with back cut, right supertech

Toyota1515

Post by Toyota1515 »

No i didnt mean Supertech, i mean any Stainless Steel valves, that will last more and dont crap on your expensive head work and cost you catastrophic and unrepairable damage just cuz you cheap out in such an important component of the head, i have seen OEM 4age valve that broke and do all the before mentioned, take it as an advise,
SF5 FOZZY
oldeskewltoy

Post by oldeskewltoy »

Toyota1515 wrote:No i didnt mean Supertech, i mean any Stainless Steel valves, that will last more and dont crap on your expensive head work and cost you catastrophic and unrepairable damage just cuz you cheap out in such an important component of the head, i have seen OEM 4age valve that broke and do all the before mentioned, take it as an advise,

Odd... I've not yet had a valve failure....

There are not many companies making valves for the 4AG.... that's why I asked you if you were talking about Supertech. Do you have a company in mind??

oldeskewltoy wrote:So with the ports nearly finished... I proceed to the chamber work. Basic, or minimum deshrouding to start....

... but more will be required...
I wasn't sure how much... after all... the clients valves were not going to be used, I had picked through my old valves for a decent set. So "new" valves, and had them ground, along with the 3 angle grind.... after all of that....

Chamber volumes were....

35cc, 35.2cc, 35.2cc, 35.1cc (based on beginning meniscus levels)

All in all not too bad, well within acceptable tolerance... but I worked #1 a bit more then the other three, I'll have finished chamber volumes by Monday...

Now here is the progression of chamber #2....

More to come.......... :mrgreen:
Toyota1515

Post by Toyota1515 »

SF5 FOZZY
oldeskewltoy

Post by oldeskewltoy »

Toyota1515 wrote:manley i guess, By the way Supertech are not stainless

http://experformance.net/i-217065.aspx

http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/m ... /overview/
neither of those valves will work without MASSIVE work. The valves you show are O/S valves, stock 4AG valves are intake 30.5, not 32, and the exhaust valve is 25.5, not 27.5. So to use those, or any other O/S valve the work required is over $1000, and closer to $2000. All 16 valve seats need to be removed, then the head needs to be over-bored to accommodate new hardened seats, then the seats need to be machined to size, then the head needs to be MASSIVELY ported - see OST-019.

Allowing for enough margin, I've never had a 4AG valve fail, and the only aftermarket std valve I know of is Supertechs..... (btw I know the Supertech isn't stainless... I wasn't sure of what you knew about standard size 4AG valves.....)
Toyota1515

Post by Toyota1515 »

oldeskewltoy wrote:
neither of those valves will work without MASSIVE work. The valves you show are O/S valves, stock 4AG valves are intake 30.5, not 32, and the exhaust valve is 25.5, not 27.5. So to use those, or any other O/S valve the work required is over $1000, and closer to $2000. All 16 valve seats need to be removed, then the head needs to be over-bored to accommodate new hardened seats, then the seats need to be machined to size, then the head needs to be MASSIVELY ported - see OST-019.

Allowing for enough margin, I've never had a 4AG valve fail, and the only aftermarket std valve I know of is Supertechs..... (btw I know the Supertech isn't stainless... I wasn't sure of what you knew about standard size 4AG valves.....)
LOL, bro i just show you examples, i am sure Manley got STOCK size valves, you just need to call em and ask buddy, easy as that. sorry if i wasnt specific to the point bro!
SF5 FOZZY
Datzilla

Post by Datzilla »

Toyota1515

Post by Toyota1515 »

I dont think 3TC valve will fit 4AG head
SF5 FOZZY
Datzilla

Post by Datzilla »

http://www.rpmrons.com/SItoyota.html
Your right 1515 Deff there is options , alittle digging and you could find something!
oldeskewltoy

Post by oldeskewltoy »

I want to thank both of you....

Manley doesn't have squat in the standard size, they can make them, but the cost is over $25 per valve (custom)...

BUT... S.I. DOES offer a performance valve for standard seats! I was NOT aware of this... so again... thank you!

Btw... for those who may want to know.... S.I uses the OEM Toyota part number... and then adds an "H"

So... 13711-16010-H for the standard size, performance intake valve, and 13715-16010-H for the standard size exhaust valve.

Price per valve is around $15 each (pretty reasonable)

Just for discussion... the Supertech valves are about the same price.