1980 3-tc CLUTCH issues.... replacement

Webers, Cam selection and Ignition upgrades.

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

zfunk

1980 3-tc CLUTCH issues.... replacement

Post by zfunk »

My 1980 corolla wagon 3-tc clutch is slipping under load. Just replaced the master cylinder, and looks like I have to replace the clutch ASAP. I've never done this myself, so I'm hoping someone can steer me in the right direction in terms of DIY videos, or detailed instructions. Youtube hasn't offered anything very useful to my novice mechanical skills.

Also, recommendations on a quality clutch kit would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks a million!
baldo

Re: 1980 3-tc CLUTCH issues.... replacement

Post by baldo »

I think watching any video from any car should help you. Its pretty much all the same, take the tranny out, get the clutch out, resurface the flywheel, put on the new clutch and bolt the tranny up. It depends what you got in the motor to choose the clutch, cant go wrong with centerforce. If you want to just replace it a stock one should last you a while. Remember, the more expensive the better they are! :lol:
73te27

Post by 73te27 »

Centerforce 1 is overpriced. A 4 puck disc with heavy duty stock cover is better and cheaper. CF dual friction bites good with light pressure but I had the disc shred on me and I know others who had the same problem. I like CF 2 the best. Kind of stiff but never had problems with it.

A good clutch can make driving more fun, even with a stock motor.

I loosen my motor mounts a little. I have ripped them dropping trannys.

I would also change the pilot bearing. Bucket of water, newspaper, heavy hammer and a long trans bolt works for me.

Changing the throw out bearing is a must. I have skimped on that because it still felt good only to have them fail later. A frozen bearing stalls the motor and ruins the pressure plate.
1.8te27

Post by 1.8te27 »

73te27 wrote: A 4 puck disc with heavy duty stock cover is better and cheaper.

That's what I'm running
BOBLOOK

Post by BOBLOOK »

Haven't see any DIY really for toyota

But this in principle of changing the clutch

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com/te ... to_07.html
The day we learn to think
zfunk

Post by zfunk »

Gratitude! I'll make my first attempt on a DIY clutch install as soon as my center force II clutch kit arrives
CHeers
Zfunk