81 te72 engine swap??

Webers, Cam selection and Ignition upgrades.

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

lt88

81 te72 engine swap??

Post by lt88 »

Looking to swap a new engine to give some more power instead of dumping money into the 3tc.

The engines I have been looking into a lot are sr20det,12a, maybe 22r turbo or a 3tc turbo.

I kinda want to do a 12a rotary more just for the sound they make, but I don't really know about buying one from craigslist.
They are not really too expensive on CL but I dunno if I want to make the jump for one.

Any ideas would be great. All the work will be done pretty much by me in my garage.
Mazota TE51

Re: 81 te72 engine swap??

Post by Mazota TE51 »

If you know how to play with rotaries go for it they are fairly cheap to make lots of power :twisted: , but if you don't stay away and go with a piston engine of your choice.
baldo

Re: 81 te72 engine swap??

Post by baldo »

If you are looking to just swap engines I would not recommend Craigslist. You will need to modify and spend money just for the swap to work, then if something goes wrong or the engine is not that good then you will spend more. Buy an engine with a warranty if you can. Also pick an engine you like and are willing to work on and spend money on. Example, dont get a rotary engine just because of how they sound and do not know anything about them. Plus we will all hate you for doing that! lol If you chose to go with the 3tc build lots of people can help you with questions that you will have. How much more power are you looking to get?