Best Carb

Webers, Cam selection and Ignition upgrades.

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

blacktundra

Best Carb

Post by blacktundra »

Looking for suggestions on a mostly race carb for a 3tc.

Holley 350 or 500

or Weber 38, 40 DCOE

??

Seems like the pony stock guys make decent power with the 350, but I'm sure that's the spec carb.
Jose2013

Re: Best Carb

Post by Jose2013 »

You could mount Weber 40 or 45 DCOE with short PJ intake with 308 camshaft
oldeskewltoy

Post by oldeskewltoy »

there are also 48 and 50 DCOE as well.......
ulises_te72

Post by ulises_te72 »

350 its alot easier to tune up, make sure u have a 274 or higher camshaft for the 500 or the sidedrafts or the car will not run well at low rpm. 350 will be my best advise
Estebot

Post by Estebot »

I have been racing circletrack for a million years. I have run the 500, 350 and the 38 weber. The 38 has been the best by far No pullover. Crisp and clean . Restarts to 9000 good power.
Just check your rules. Some only allow hollers. If so. Go with the 350 for sure.
NME308

Post by NME308 »

Estebot wrote:The 38 has been the best by far No pullover.
Hi there,
The phenomenon known as high rpm pullover with the Holley carbs is typically not the issue on our little engines. Due to the design of the more modern Holley float bowls with the umbrella accelerator pump valve the overfuelling issue is often caused by vibration. With the carb mounted off the side of the engine on a lever if you will (intake manifold) engine vibration is magnified and the umbrella valve acts as a pump all by itself causing fuel to squirt/dribble from the pump shooters. Since I had one modern bowl with umbrella valve and an old one with check ball valve on the same carb I managed to figure it out since the old school bowl with check ball didn't suffer the effect. Sourcing a second old school bowl with check valve instead of umbrella valve sorted my issue.

Sorry for long winded speech!

As far as the carb recommendation I only know Holley and love them but those who know weber carbs well can usually gain better response and driveability with no loss in power.

Cheers,
Jason
Estebot

Post by Estebot »

I have found that also. The umbrella only let's fuel go one direction where the check ball will let gas flow back opinto thpe bowl a little instead of pumping it all out of the squirter when the vibration works on the accelerator pump. I never really had a problem on my car with it but the weber always worked smoother .