Head Gasket replacement on 2TC?

Webers, Cam selection and Ignition upgrades.

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

VinceG2

Head Gasket replacement on 2TC?

Post by VinceG2 »

I have a stock 1975 TE31 Corolla that has a bad head gasket. Can someone let me know if these are the correct steps for changing it?

1. Dump Radiator fluid.
2. Remove valve cover.
3. Remove vacuum lines to carb.
4. Remove carb.
5. Remove intake manifold (unbolt bolts in order shown in manual)
6. Remove exhaust manifold (unbolt bolts in order shown in manual)
7. Unbolt the head bolts in the order shown in the manual.

At this point I should be able to remove the pushrods and lift/remove the head, correct?

Also, it seems like the bottom bolts for the intake manifold will be hard to access. Any tips on being able to access them? Just use a extension on the wrench?

Anything else I need to know to remove the head? Have I missed any steps?

Do I need to remove the water inlet?

I do have the replacement gaskets for the intake and exhaust manifold, the head gasket, and the water inlet gasket. I have a torque wrench to properly torque the bolts when I reinstall everything (manual states 52.2 - 63.7 ft-lb for the head, 13-18 ft-lb for the intake manifold, and 22-32 for the exhaust manifold).
BOBLOOK

Re: Head Gasket replacement on 2TC?

Post by BOBLOOK »

Yes my friend you home work is correctly

But if you don't have new carb gasket leave it mounted on the intake and mark the vacuum line that way you can remember where they go
The day we learn to think
VinceG2

Post by VinceG2 »

Great, thanks!

I had recently rebuilt the carb (first time I ever did that!), and changed the vac lines. When I did that, I used the Emissions Control manual to make sure the vac lines were hooked up correctly, and I made sure to label them at that time. The factory service manuals are WAY better then the Haynes/Chilton/Claymore/etc manuals. They have given me more confidence on working on the Corolla.

Sp just use an extension for the bottom bolts (nuts really) on the Intake Manifold? And does the water intake need to be removed, or can it be left in place?
VinceG2

Post by VinceG2 »

Ok, ran into a problem. The hoses for the air conditioner blocks access to the bottom nuts on the intake manifold. So now my question is: Can I just remove what's on the intake manifold (carb and hoses), and once I unbolt the head and exhaust manifold, just lift the head with the intake manifold still connected to it? Then I can remove the intake with it off the engine and replace it's gasket, and reinstall the head with the intake already connected.

Would that work? Or is there any reason I have to remove the intake before lifting off the head from the engine?

So much for getting those off today. :(
Estebot

Post by Estebot »

I would put the engine up on tdc on the #1 cyl before. Not necessary but at least you know where you are to adj the valves when you reinstall the head.
VinceG2

Post by VinceG2 »

Ok, I put it at TDC, and have removed the exhaust manifold.

I still need to know if it's ok to leave the intake manifold on, as long as I remove everything from it. I can't access the nuts on it's underside because the hoses for the A/C is blocking access. I figure if I can, then I can remove them together, and seperate them when they are off the engine so I can put the new intake manifold gasket on, and then clean everything up before reinstalling.

Help?
Estebot

Post by Estebot »

Yep. You can remove the head with intake on. . You can leave the water inlet on the head too.
Once you unbolt the head, pull the rocker stand off and pull out the pushrods. Then lift the head right off.