3TC motor in a 1973 vw camper.

Webers, Cam selection and Ignition upgrades.

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

Edsel46

3TC motor in a 1973 vw camper.

Post by Edsel46 »

Years ago I put a 3TC in my 73 vw camper.it works great have the radiator on top useing a Weber carb completely rebuilt the motor it all works great drive it between Maine and Chattanooga tn a lot. To keep the RPMs down I put 215/75/16 on the back. I can’t seem to find out what a normal 3TC motor operating temperature should be and at 65 what the RPMs should be. I tell everyone that it’s a vast improvement on German engineering!! I’m going to put a Freeway Flyer(new pinion gear and 4 th gear) in next.
bubbajohnson

Re: 3TC motor in a 1973 vw camper.

Post by bubbajohnson »

Hi there!

That sounds like a cool conversion. Post some pics if you have the ability please!

As far as temp goes, OE thermostat temp is 195*F so it should run around that tempreture.

As far as freeway RPM goes that depends on your final transmission gear ratio, tire size and axle ratio. With the stock Toyota T50 transmission and 3.52 axle ratio I used to turn about 3000RPM at 65-70MPH all day long. I went to a 4.3 axle ratio a number of years ago and that's nice because I get off the line and accelerate great! But I turn 4000rpm at 70MPH now, but it can still do it all day long because the engine cooling system is sound.
This online calculator has been handy to me many times in the past: https://spicerparts.com/calculators/tra ... calculator

Cheers,

- Rich
Edsel46

Re: 3TC motor in a 1973 vw camper.

Post by Edsel46 »

I was thinking maybe at 60 MPH one would be turning 2500 RPM. I can’t seem to find out anywhere!!