Help with 2TG distributor setting

Webers, Cam selection and Ignition upgrades.

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

Mrte27

Help with 2TG distributor setting

Post by Mrte27 »

Hi there,

I've been trying to set the timing on this 2tg engine and can't seem to get it right.

The first thing I've noticed the firing order was wrong, plug wire placement on distributor cap was 1-2-4-3 w/c is obviously wrong but the car would start, just backfiring. After changing to correct 1-3-4-2, it wont start. Im pretty sure something is wrong, I pullued the distributor cap off and noticed that the "rotor" was pointing at #2 position while in #1 piston is TDC, (verified by in/ex cam flange notches pointing upward). I read somewhere that for a 3TC, it should be pointing at #1 position in the cap at TDC, I tried this and corrected the firing order, it started but still the timing is way off even with the use of a timing light.

Can anyone with a 2tg verify the position of the rotor inside the distributor cap while the engine is in "0" TDC?

Thanks.
BOBLOOK

Re: Help with 2TG distributor setting

Post by BOBLOOK »

The day we learn to think
Polkdawg09

Post by Polkdawg09 »

Did the link help? I'm having the same problem after replacing the head gasket.
7t5-27

Post by 7t5-27 »

The next page on the link is for the 2tg, the firing order is 1342 I have a picture of my 2tg if you need it. good luck with it.
Greg
its a TA 27 not a TE 27
Rodger

Post by Rodger »

Ok.

You were close, infact 12 degrees retarded when you set the rotor pointing to #1 and engine set at TDC.

Set crank pulley notch at the twelve degree mark on the timing cover or close to it.

With the distributor slotted in as per the diagram in the thread above and the plug cap and leads removed turn on the ignition. Slowly rotate the housing back and forward so a 'click' is heard as you move the body in a clockwise direction. Just as it 'clicks', this is when the coil would normally trigger and fire, lock the distributor in place.

The timing is now very close to set at the desired 12 degrees. Now the motor should start and run and you can use a timing light to get it on the money.
Regards
Rodger
Lover of the Solex/Mikuni sound
http://www.rmcarburetors.net