How to tune your carb for more HP?

Webers, Cam selection and Ignition upgrades.

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

Kenny727

Re: How to tune your carb for more HP?

Post by Kenny727 »

Of course im not looking for magic HP, just responsiveness or anything like that.
I seen something where they turned the secondary on the carb to open with the main instead of the vacuum pressure.
Honestly this is almost the slowest car I've driven... barely faster then my 3 cylinder Geo Metro..

For the Corolla scene being a large size Idk why there's not a lot of info online compared to any of my passed cars..

IS there a website with a good tech articles for te72
baldo

Post by baldo »

I will give you my first weber carb trick. They are progressive cabs. Meaning the secondary does not open with vacuum pressure. Look at the back of it and play with the throttle.
"Honestly this is almost the slowest car I've driven... barely faster then my 3 cylinder Geo Metro.." These cars have like 75 to 85 HP stock. Wow right? You probably got this car because you kind of knew that they where fast. But failed to realized that you have to make them that way.
"For the Corolla scene being a large size Idk why there's not a lot of info online compared to any of my passed cars.. " Really? :roll: :roll: :roll:
Finally "IS there a website with a good tech articles for te72" LOL Game set match, sell this car dude. Im done! :evil:
Spudenater

Post by Spudenater »

If you want a synchronous carb you oughta get a 38/38 Outlaw as opposed to the 32/36 you have, though it won't make much difference on a stock motor. Your best bet, in terms of tuning your current carb, is just trying to get your mixture as stoich across the board as you can by re-jetting it if it came off a differently sized motor or has factory jets. A bit of searching should net you some jet recommendations without to much trouble. Other thoughts if you're looking to change carbs (though the one you have is fine) are Weber DCOE sidedrafts, though those need a new manifold and single side manifolds are sorta hard to find, and there's no way you need duals.

One other piece of advice from someone who is also fairly new to the 3TC Corolla community. Most of the dudes who own these cars and hold the knowledge are older gentlemen. I don't know how old you are, but I'm only 22, so they've got alot of years on me. They typically don't have the patience to answer questions that have been answered many times before, and for good reason. You don't want to wear out your welcome by asking questions that could just as easily be answered by searching the forums. Basically, be ready to dig and read ALOT! Before I ask a question, I typically spend a minimum of two hours searching and only ask something if I am still unsure/stumped. Carbs and carbed vehicles have a bit of a learning curve if you're coming over from fuel injection, for sure.

This \/ link is actually for DCOE carbs, but it has alot of good info on tuning the British way (ie guess and check), so you should read over it and see if it helps you make sense of some of this mess.

http://www.teglerizer.com/dcoe/webertune.htm
72te27

Post by 72te27 »

Lol. C'mon old dudes, help a guy out!

As has already been pointed out, carb size isnt your problem. Weber 32/36 DVG carbs flow around 320 cfm, plenty for your engine. The key is jetting it for your engine, whether it's stock or modified.
This link is one of numerous sources for both jetting and troubleshooting your carb. It applies to our engines even though the site and article is referencing other engine makes. Same basic info. There are other articles, I just happened to have this one handy. Take your time and keep accurate records of the steps taken, settings of idle and mixture screws and jets used. Make sure the engine is warmed up and no choke is applied.

http://www.classicinlines.com/WeberTune.asp

If this old dude of 53 (turns out you were correct!) can find my other reference articles, I'll post them.
Kenny727

Post by Kenny727 »

I like the link. Around how much HP would I need before a bigger carb CFM would be necessary?
I was just thinking that if you had a bigger carb for air flow and increased jet size for fuel.. You would get more hp?
but I guess your all saying its like fuel injectors and cant use the extra fuel until you have HP first.
73GTV

Post by 73GTV »

Find, buy and install a set of 2T-BR twin carbs, balance and tune. Easy and make sure you install that choke cable.

Example: (not for sale)
Kenny727

Post by Kenny727 »

That's pretty cool, I haven't seen a set up like that before.
I heard about people putting on bike carbs.. does that help anything?
Ive been stalking ebay for 3t parts, a used GTE would be a godsend..
Kenny727

Post by Kenny727 »

My car was randomly missing above 4k RPM when I looked my throttle cable came loose, and a piece fell off my carb..
Since its gone I dont know what Im missing..Its by where you change the choke.. facing the firewall

Will update this post with a picture soon.
Kenny727

Post by Kenny727 »

So I went and made the secondary open a lot earlier vs stock with a little bit of adjustment but it can almost chirp tire out of first lol.
Back to the point with the secondary running a bit more he idle is a bit rough but it sounds meaner for sure.. Now I'm getting another car and making this a weekend/ race car so I appreciate the carb tips!