Engine cuts out when drifting.

Webers, Cam selection and Ignition upgrades.

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

BOBLOOK

Re: Engine cuts out when drifting.

Post by BOBLOOK »

Your carb bowl isn't that big and those 32/36 Weber DGEV are prone to run out of fuel.
had one installed in my vw engine secondary jetted to the max :lol: :lol: car was flying low end but above 5000 start cut.
Upgraded fuel pump and line problem remain the same.
The day we learn to think
gotae86

Post by gotae86 »

Thanks for the reply BOBLOOK.

Did you try adjusting the float in your VW running the Weber DGEV?
gotae86

Post by gotae86 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3Zhwii ... e=youtu.be

On my way out, the last left hand turn, the engine starts to sputter. Although this is better than last week, I still need to adjust the float level.

PS. Last week, I was unable to make any turn without the engine starving for fuel. Even the slightest faint drift movement and the engine would struggle.
BOBLOOK

Post by BOBLOOK »

The float won't help it ;)
You can simple test it by racing the car when it start to sputter turn the engine off en check the sparkplugs.
In you case they would be white(lean) i think.
Your MSD is overburning the fuel........ engine need more fuel

why not try an 2bb carb
The day we learn to think
Grumpy3TC

Post by Grumpy3TC »

Remember if your car is a Sr-5 you Gas tank is not sump like the GTS so the gas is running side to side and in betwen aceleration is suck just AIR you might need to sump the tank and again more money more testing so I will say,Don't weast money on traying this or that,Put you money in to a 4AG Swap and you goin to have more and better respons for you type of racing in this case Drifting,The sport need a lite engine with better respons and higher RPM power band,I dont see getting to far with the 2TC Unless is built for fast rev and more.
MY 3tc is so Grumpy! I feel like eating one or two Rotaries for breakfast today!
gotae86

Post by gotae86 »

I checked the spark plugs and they are fine. They are a nice tan color. That being said, what spark plugs are recommended for these engines? I'm currently using some NGK iridium plugs.

The car is a GTS but I'm not running the stock fuel system. I'm running a fuel cell with an electric fuel pump with a pressure regulator set to 3.5 psi. To be honest, I was surprised that I was able to initiate a drift in 3rd gear with great ease with the current engine. With my previous 4AG I had to downshift from 3rd to 2nd to stay in the powerband and maintain a drift. I find that having more low end torque is better than having top end power for my style of drifting.

PS. I'm building a 4ag over the winter.
Grumpy3TC

Post by Grumpy3TC »

What about your ignition system?Any MSD high output coil or box of any kind?, that can keep u a good amount of spark for so much fuel in a low gear in order not to stall?Problably is not even a gas problem ,could be a to much air and vacum into the engine,Meabe u got to dish the Weber 32/36 remember is a progressive linkage and mechanism in that carb .The Weber 38/38 is not a progressive mechanism and can deliver lot more gas than the 32/36.Also your cam profile can play a big role in that engine and how is been racing.So much thing need to be adress in order to have a very optimistic engine for drifting.At least that how I see it. :ugeek:
MY 3tc is so Grumpy! I feel like eating one or two Rotaries for breakfast today!
gotae86

Post by gotae86 »

Grumpy3TC wrote:What about your ignition system?Any MSD high output coil or box of any kind?, that can keep u a good amount of spark for so much fuel in a low gear in order not to stall?Problably is not even a gas problem ,could be a to much air and vacum into the engine,Meabe u got to dish the Weber 32/36 remember is a progressive linkage and mechanism in that carb .The Weber 38/38 is not a progressive mechanism and can deliver lot more gas than the 32/36.Also your cam profile can play a big role in that engine and how is been racing.So much thing need to be adress in order to have a very optimistic engine for drifting.At least that how I see it. :ugeek:

MSD ignition with a blaster coil and NGK wires. Ignition is set to 10 degrees and climbs to 30+.

I'm waiting on a linkage kit so I can install a set of Mikuni 44's which should be in a few weeks. I've come across a synchronous kit to convert the 32/36 but for $50 plus shipping I think I'm going to wait for the PHH linkage and build up from that.
Grumpy3TC

Post by Grumpy3TC »

gotae86 wrote:
Grumpy3TC wrote:What about your ignition system?Any MSD high output coil or box of any kind?, that can keep u a good amount of spark for so much fuel in a low gear in order not to stall?Problably is not even a gas problem ,could be a to much air and vacum into the engine,Meabe u got to dish the Weber 32/36 remember is a progressive linkage and mechanism in that carb .The Weber 38/38 is not a progressive mechanism and can deliver lot more gas than the 32/36.Also your cam profile can play a big role in that engine and how is been racing.So much thing need to be adress in order to have a very optimistic engine for drifting.At least that how I see it. :ugeek:

MSD ignition with a blaster coil and NGK wires. Ignition is set to 10 degrees and climbs to 30+.

I'm waiting on a linkage kit so I can install a set of Mikuni 44's which should be in a few weeks. I've come across a synchronous kit to convert the 32/36 but for $50 plus shipping I think I'm going to wait for the PHH linkage and build up from that.
yeap!