What transmission to use??

Webers, Cam selection and Ignition upgrades.

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

ColMustard

What transmission to use??

Post by ColMustard »

swapping a 3tc with small starter and scattershield into my 1977 ke30. been told a few different things in regards to transmission and how they will mount. is there a difference between a '83 t50 to say a '80 t50? is 2tc same tranny just differenct design? what tranny will be least amount of work i.e. fabricating mounts, shifter location..etc.. money isnt so much of an issue as the lack of skill is becuase this is my first car and first project ive decided to take on. thanks a lot in advance!
AE25

Re: What transmission to use??

Post by AE25 »

yes there's differences. I can't speak for US spec cars, but for jdm and NZ cars the following applies...
most T motors either had a T40 or T50. some countries had a w50 behind the earlier 3t corona's like 1980 tt132.

There's at least 4 versions of the t50. To easily bolt one into an KE3 corolla chassis you need the earlier t50 from the te2#/te3#/te5# corolla or 70's ta2# celica's which had the shifter further forward on the tail housing and a 20spline output shaft, (same spline as a k40/k50 box). The shifter sits in a cast iron mount. the input shaft snout has a round flange on it.

The two later versions of T50 were fitted to TE7# and ae86 chassis corolla's or from ta61/ta63 celica's and carina's or st140/tt141 etc corona from the 80's. the shifter is at the rear of the tail housing in the 80's versions compared to the earlier t50 versions.
From about 1978 to 1982 there is a version with a 20spline output shaft and the shifter at the very rear of the tail housing. these came in the earlier te71 in my country.
Then from about 1982/83 the output shaft changed from a 20spline to a 22spline as found in all ae86 and the facelift TE71.

With that change was also a larger input shaft bearing which locates in the bell housing. so if you have an earlier 2t bell housing with the small starter ear, then it wont directly fit a 22spline t50 without machining out the bellhousing to locate the larger input shaft bearing. 62mm to 68mm if i remember correct.
The 22spline input shaft snout has a square flange and slightly larger bolt pattern.
The 20spline bellhousing use a few stacked spring washers to push against the input shaft bearing, whereas 22spline instead have a shim.

You'd also need a matching driveshaft to suit the 22spline if a 20spline gbox was originally fitted. Also since the shifter is further rear on the later ones you'd have to cut the shifter hole back further on the tranny tunnel.
I can't remember off hand if the mounts ever changed position? I should probably check the shed hah. But usually the gearbox crossmember can be moved one bolt position rearwards on the chassis rails and it bolts in a t50 from a k50. The two mounting holes on the crossmember for the gbox rubber mount may need to be redrilled to suit depending which version of K box and T box you're swapping as there's a few different bolt spacings. I think it's the ke70 k50 that has the wider bolt spacing so it'll be pretty close.
err hope that helped :lol:
ColMustard

Post by ColMustard »

that actually helped a lot! so you say there's four different models of t50, but what about the t40?
AE25

Post by AE25 »

it's the same deal as with t50's. ie an early version with shifter at the front of tail housing and later ones at rear of tail housing. 20 and 22spline output shaft versions.