Celica TA40 from france 2.3TB

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

jbg

Celica TA40 from france 2.3TB

Post by jbg »

So let me introduce my car.
It's a Celica TA40 1979 ST 1600 powered by a 2TB (86cv).

I have bought it in South of France (sunny area) to bring it at home in the North of France.

Few pics just after the reception of the car.

I have quickly bought those wheels from Japan, a good way to be sure that I will not see the same on another car.
They are period correct.

I have started by fitting a MegaJolt ignition

before buying a Mikuni Solex from a japanese 4AGE powered car and a 3TC "ebay racing" exhaust 4 in 1.

I have a lot of problem to tune it but I was far to think it could come from the engine... But after a compression test, I have found that 2 cylinder had 7.5 kg of compression and the 2 others had 8.5... so I had to open it to have a look.

I have choose to mak a completely new engine and start to order parts from US...

So I bought all those parts.

Crower stage 2 camshaft

The head is totally rebuilt, made by a professionnal guy from Belgium (86mm cylinder, head planned, block planned, machined valve and seats with 1mm seat (1.6mm normaly), new valve guide...

So the last thing I have to find is a used 3TC crankshaft because I haven't found 2TB forged pistons and the only difference between the 3TC and 2TB is the stroke by the crankshaft (but I don't learn you this point). So 3TC Wiseco pistons have a 4mm higher pin so if I fit them on my 2TB crankshaft, I will have a 7.3 : 1 compression ratio...not really good for a NA engine...
jbg

Re: Celica TA40 from france 2.3TB

Post by jbg »

I have also modified the front cover with a Yamaha TW125 camshaft cover. I can now adjust the camshaft without retiring the front cover.
I had an old TW125 broken head, I have cut it and welded it on the front cover with the TIG.

BOBLOOK

Post by BOBLOOK »

welcome nice build so far kept the build result coming
The day we learn to think
jbg

Post by jbg »

thanks

I have a lot of job to finish the car but I would like firstly to finish the engine and put the car on the road before making the paintjob.
Normally I will paint with a Renault Metal Chocolate color from the last Megane Estate which will be very nice on such a classic car.
jbg

Post by jbg »

I have received my 3TC crankshaft from Canada.

So I have started to work on the engine.

Head have been ported

all parts have been fitted on the head

Pistons, rods and crankshaft also

and the cam shaft

I have also made a oil squirter to protect the camshaft gear and the distributor gear.

Since this work, head has been mounted

I have now to blast the head cover, the front cover and the oil pan. I will modify it for trackdays.

I have ordered a CC Stage 2 clutch and I don't know if I will fit a light engine flywheel because of the price (expensive to import from USA in France). I will probably lighten the OEM flywheel.

SO now I can tell that I have the only 3TB in France. And I will take pleasure to drift with the "original" engine in my Celica.
BOBLOOK

Post by BOBLOOK »

Nice job awesome

Did you had to grind the block a lot?
jbg

Post by jbg »

Grind the block??? for what????

With the Molnar Rods, no problem. Only with OEM rods because the head of the rod bolt touch. On the Molnar rods there is no bolt but studs directly screwed in the rod.
sinsinracing

Post by sinsinracing »

Check your PM and let me know .
BOBLOOK

Post by BOBLOOK »

jbg wrote:Grind the block??? for what????

With the Molnar Rods, no problem. Only with OEM rods because the head of the rod bolt touch. On the Molnar rods there is no bolt but studs directly screwed in the rod.
Didn't knew that awesome build ;)
toyotero2dend

Post by toyotero2dend »

I like the crank wheel and sensor ,looks like it came there from the fac. ;) nice
Tate Quieto