Adding a new weber

Webers, Cam selection and Ignition upgrades.

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

Jmwboriocua

Adding a new weber

Post by Jmwboriocua » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:38 am

Hi guys, I am new here on 3tc, and I am looking for some advice and pics. I am working on a '81 wagon with a 3tc engine. I am replacing the factory carb and installing a down draft 2 barrel weber carb. I have seen many people with them but all of them are manual tranns. I am trying to figure out how to install it on a auto tranny. Some ideas and pics would be appreciated.

BOBLOOK

Re: Adding a new weber

Post by BOBLOOK » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:12 am

Welcome on the forum
The day we learn to think

Spudenater

Post by Spudenater » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:01 am

Hey, welcome. So what is your problem exactly? The carburetor is independent of the transmission, so installation would be the same I would think. Unless there's something I don't know about the auto's. I mean you'll have to set your idle a little higher, but other than that...

Which carburetor are you looking at? Are you planning on keeping your stock manifold? What about the fuel pump?

I'm assuming you're looking into either a 32/36 or a 38/38 if you're going downdraft right?

Jmwboriocua

Post by Jmwboriocua » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:19 pm

I have a 32/36, what i am tryin to install is the overdrive tranny cable. Was hopping to see few pics of how of you guys have the carb isntalled.

bubbajohnson

Post by bubbajohnson » Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:34 pm

I installed a weber on my old automatic corona years ago. I don't think I have any pictures, but I ended up welding together a custom linkage piece for the throttle linkage and tranny kick down cable using some of the weber kit parts and factory Toyota pieces. If you have some fab skills you can make it work well, just make sure the kick down cable reaches full extension exactly at full throttle so you don't over stretch it and the transmission shifts correctly!

Spudenater

Post by Spudenater » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:38 am

Oh interesting, I didn't realize the autos had a cable that interacted with the carb. If you have trouble with the throttle cable, you can get a piece that clamps onto the line (after you clip off the old end) to work with Weber/Redline linkages. I know I had a problem with that, and I couldn't really find any info on it. VW suppliers seemed to be more helpful than anyone else in that regard (finding specific pieces and odd/ends for webers).

Anyways, would you mind posting pictures of your setup? I want to see what this overdrive cable looks like.

bubbajohnson

Post by bubbajohnson » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:22 am

Just an FYI, I like welding up my own linkages for the webers so I DON'T have to cut the end off! I have had clamp ends, or cable stops, fray the cable over time and then they loosen and come apart while driving down the road. A couple quick tack welds and you can attach the factory pieces to the weber pieces and use the throttle cable as the factory intended! No worries about fraying cables, ever. :D

Spudenater

Post by Spudenater » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:24 am

Man I wish I had a welder. Or even knew how to weld for that matter...

toyotero2dend

Post by toyotero2dend » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:40 pm

I'd say get an old factory carb. And take off the linkage and mod it to fit the weber and you be good to go ;)
Tate Quieto