'80 wagon won't start :(

Webers, Cam selection and Ignition upgrades.

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

superdevil

'80 wagon won't start :(

Post by superdevil »

My '80 wagon has been parked for a month or two. I ripped off the EGR and threw on a 5 finger intake and did a few other odds and ends. I went to start it and I had el zilcho. I knew my timing was a smidgen off because I pulled the dizzy partially out to get to one of the bolts for the intake. I lined it up with the marks I made the best I could. I shot it with a few sprays of started fluid and it would turn over but quickly die. I checked the fuel filter thinking it was gummed up, nope it was dry. I pulled off old fuel pump and the arm was incredibly easy to press down. I got a new fuel pump and its way stiffer. I tried turning the car over again and I still have no fuel. Do you guys think maybe the lines are gunked up? Am I overlooking something :(?
baldo

Re: '80 wagon won't start :(

Post by baldo »

Well did the other odds and ends have anything to do with it? :) You can take the fuel hoses off and see if they are clogged or hard. Then (its your choice) try to suck gas out or get a cheap electric pump and see if that works. But even before that, if you think its gunk you can get under the car and check the fuel hose that goes from the tank to the lines. If you take it off fuel should come out. If it does, then you know the problem is something from that point going to the carb.
superdevil

Post by superdevil »

Haha the odds and ends were a new v belt, new thermostat & thermostat housing, and the 5 finger. Honestly, I forgot all about the rubber line going to the hard lines. I'll check that on my next day off.
superdevil

Post by superdevil »

I haven't had a chance to pull that line off. I blew air threw the hard lines though. The tank definitely gargled, after i hooked the line back up to the new pump all i got was small air pulses. Not a single drop of fuel came out.