Easiest engine to replace my 3t-c with?

Post question & Frequently common parts that you find that fit but weren't supposed to-include the parts numbers if where possible.

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

Kenny727

Easiest engine to replace my 3t-c with?

Post by Kenny727 »

I'm about to start doing a lot of engine work and I want to price an engine swap to see if it will be a better idea.
I figure this should be in a frequently asked questions because anyone wanting to know what engines are worth throwing into the "Rolla". (1982 Corolla w/ 3tc 5 speed)
Pretty much I'm looking for an easier swap.. All motor.. Will turn my Corolla into a street racing animal ( For random pulls on the street) Also I am looking for a lower end price.
Does any engine series bolt into the original mounts and transmission?
What about stock mounts with new transmission?
Now passed that what engine series might have different mounts but still be a popular swap or has been done a lot?
Heres a list of engines I have looked at, Take a pick and tell me why its the easiest/or the best combo for the corolla (most desirable to least)
3s-ge 207hp ~1200$ (engine tranny ecu)
7m-ge 190hp ~1400$ (engine tranny ecu)
5vz-fe 190 HP ~800$ (engine only)
4a-ge 125 HP ~1800$ (engine tranny ecu)
22r 108hp ~400$ (engine only)
2vz-fe 159hp
1vz-fe 133hp
Last edited by Kenny727 on Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Heiska

Re: Easiest engine to replace my 3t-c with?

Post by Heiska »

What car do you have?

4age will bolt on t50 if it is with bigbearings and you need ae86gt bellhousing.
Kenny727

Post by Kenny727 »

My car is a 82
Heiska

Post by Heiska »

Kenny727 wrote:My car is a 82
Im quessing it is a corolla?

I did 4age swap for my -84 ke70 wagon. I used ae86 gt crossmember, engine, bellhousing and wires. That was easy but it was with steering rack, and it doesnt fit if you dont do some work.

If you can find ae86gt parts and diy engine brackets it is quite simple to do.
Kenny727

Post by Kenny727 »

What generation 4a-ge did you use? I noticed newer ones would be in a corolla that's FWD? did they turn 4a to FWD or keep some RWD?
Also I pulled up a few more engines.. just for options
Making mounts would not be a problem for the engine
Would a 22r bolt to the t50 tranny?
Anyone familiar with the VZ family and how that would be to swap? I like the idea of a v6 as long as it can physically fit in the bay.. don't want to mess with the firewall if I don't have too.(5vz-fe,2vz,1vz)
3s-ge.. these beams engines look awesome.. found tranny ecu and engine for 1300$~ but just the fact its a newer engine and wiring is my biggest concern, so it kind of worries me, but if its not that much more wiring I think this is the way to go..

Last engine I was thinking of was a 7m-ge.. same price range as 3s and still good horsepower for the corolla, also I was thinking since its older maybe theres less wiring to deal with?
Also updating original post with engine swap list
oldeskewltoy

Post by oldeskewltoy »

To keep the T50, the easiet is another "T", or an "A". The 20/22R needs a W5 box. 7M is a big long straight 6... might affect handling, also requires W type transmission. The BEAMs and the J160 6 speed is a fine choice, but it will require a bit of wiring.

I'm running a moderately worked 4AG, and a LEEN modified J160 in my 1983 Corolla. I'm not the best example, I've got serious coin in mine
Kenny727 wrote:What generation 4a-ge did you use? I noticed newer ones would be in a corolla that's FWD? did they turn 4a to FWD or keep some RWD?
Also I pulled up a few more engines.. just for options
Making mounts would not be a problem for the engine
Would a 22r bolt to the t50 tranny?
Anyone familiar with the VZ family and how that would be to swap? I like the idea of a v6 as long as it can physically fit in the bay.. don't want to mess with the firewall if I don't have too.(5vz-fe,2vz,1vz)
3s-ge.. these beams engines look awesome.. found tranny ecu and engine for 1300$~ but just the fact its a newer engine and wiring is my biggest concern, so it kind of worries me, but if its not that much more wiring I think this is the way to go..

Last engine I was thinking of was a 7m-ge.. same price range as 3s and still good horsepower for the corolla, also I was thinking since its older maybe theres less wiring to deal with?
Also updating original post with engine swap list
Kenny727

Post by Kenny727 »

So I'm pretty much down to 3sge or a 4age..
as far as 4age from what I understand..
It will bolt up to my t50 transmission..
but what generation or year range am I looking for..
seems like all of the 20V are FWD
oldeskewltoy

Post by oldeskewltoy »

Kenny727 wrote: what generation or year range am I looking for..
rwd versions only came in the AE86, while fwd/transverse versions came in AE82, AE92, and AW11 so there are more transverse 4AGEs out there.

The engine itself doesn't care what it originally came as - fwd, or rwd. the key is modifying the cooling system and ignition system so they will fit in rwd applications.
Kenny727

Post by Kenny727 »

oldeskewltoy wrote:
Kenny727 wrote: what generation or year range am I looking for..
rwd versions only came in the AE86, while fwd/transverse versions came in AE82, AE92, and AW11 so there are more transverse 4AGEs out there.

The engine itself doesn't care what it originally came as - fwd, or rwd. the key is modifying the cooling system and ignition system so they will fit in rwd applications.
Oh okay I understand how its done now.
I'm going into getting a beams engine
Pretty much I would need
engine tranny ecu combo (1300~)
Driveline,
Rear axle and diff..
Does anyone have a list of parts needed, or even just a price total
I'm thinking 1800 for the parts if I do mechanical work myself
Kenny727

Post by Kenny727 »

Does anyone know about the Beams blacktop swap, Or know where I can find the info?
Also what does it take to wire the engine?

This is going to be a secondary car now so I want beams + NOS. 320ish~?
OR if someone can find a cheaper/ better drag/ road race combo
==