filling AIR ports on exhaust for head porting

The one stop topic for all the useful informations that gets lots in the mix.
Click her for the good stuff.

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

82te72

Re: filling AIR ports on exhaust for head porting

Post by 82te72 »

thanks for the input juan.

i do agree that the golfball finish wouldimprove the flow due to the same reasons, but there also could be some adverse affects to, I would have to look into it more.

either way, without physical flowbench work i also cant prove that deleting them helps. Also to make a true test, ports would have to be the same shape and same flaws in the port. so having a true accurate test would be somewhat difficult, unless flows were drastically different.

dyno tests also have many variables, and there might not have been too much of a noticable difference between the two like you said, but still plenty of other variables between the two.

either way, others can decide if they think this is worthwile or not, and its true, it may not be and cant be proven without better data.

dan, if you want to offer your flowbench services, we can possibly get some data on this, i still have the scrap head for testing, i would just need to grind down the port to shape.
Toyota1515

Post by Toyota1515 »

82te72 wrote:thanks for the input juan.

i do agree that the golfball finish wouldimprove the flow due to the same reasons, but there also could be some adverse affects to, I would have to look into it more.

either way, without physical flowbench work i also cant prove that deleting them helps. Also to make a true test, ports would have to be the same shape and same flaws in the port. so having a true accurate test would be somewhat difficult, unless flows were drastically different.

dyno tests also have many variables, and there might not have been too much of a noticable difference between the two like you said, but still plenty of other variables between the two.

either way, others can decide if they think this is worthwile or not, and its true, it may not be and cant be proven without better data.

dan, if you want to offer your flowbench services, we can possibly get some data on this, i still have the scrap head for testing, i would just need to grind down the port to shape.
Yeap Agree with all your input 100%
SF5 FOZZY
oldeskewltoy

Post by oldeskewltoy »

82te72 wrote:
We will need a proper bore adapter....... I have 82mm and 84mm, but nothing further.

Concerning the dimple effect... there is some evidence that it DOES improve flow... but it MUST be done with extreme care. the dimples must be uniform in shape and depth for it to properly work.

the exhaust side... on a street engine (or ANY engine that isn't coming apart regularly) the particulate in the exhaust will quickly fill in those small dimples(uniform or not), and the particulate will continue to narrow the port opening. A smooth, highly polished surface on the exhaust port will inhibit build up by not providing anchor points for the build up.

concerning the video... what most people forget... is the intake event takes place in in a time span ranging from .25 seconds (at about 1000 rpm) to about .04 seconds (at about 6000 rpm) so instead of a steady stream of air the intake event is actually pulses, with reversion (air charge stopping and then do to pressure waves it begins to reverse direction) - eddy points are not good in an engine, and if possible should be minimized
82te72

Post by 82te72 »

84 is close. stock is 85.

we will see what the future holds with that. I have many other things to focus on over the next month than running tests.
hemilove

Post by hemilove »

keep us updated i'm interested
BOBLOOK

Post by BOBLOOK »

Wonder how do they create those dimples, what tools they used !

Does make the fuel air to atomize better wonder if there is an difference in performance NA on turbo increase :?:

The day we learn to think
Toyota1515

Post by Toyota1515 »

BOBLOOK wrote:Wonder how do they create those dimples, what tools they used !

Does make the fuel air to atomize better wonder if there is an difference in performance NA on turbo increase :?:

It is CNC made and it is not to atomize, but to improve flow drastically!
SF5 FOZZY
BOBLOOK

Post by BOBLOOK »

Oh okay did they show any flow cart graphic :?:
The day we learn to think
Toyota1515

Post by Toyota1515 »

BOBLOOK wrote:Oh okay did they show any flow cart graphic :?:
Not on those heads specifically

But here is a basic explanation about how it works, this still a secret for pro stock NHRA guys so i guess it will be hard to get any real input

SF5 FOZZY
Toyota1515

Post by Toyota1515 »

But i really dont have any clue if these design really work for sure, as it is being a secret and too labor intensive just to test if it does work i just trow it out here to stir the pot a little!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
SF5 FOZZY