TE72 starting trouble

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

buddlee23

TE72 starting trouble

Post by buddlee23 »

Hello Everyone,
I have a 1980 Te72 wagon. Its been a great car so far and has yet to let me down until recently. I Let a buddy of min drive it the other day and it died on him. We ended up having to push start it and drive it home. Since then I've been trying to diagnose the issue with what little free time I have. I replaced the ignition switch to no avail. When i turn the key to on, my radio, buzzer, and everything else turns on. As soon as I try to turn it over to start everything dies (no solenoid click or anything).
I've ran the multimeter trying to see if it was getting power to terminal 50 (pretty sure that's the right name for it) and I would get power right to the point where it would switch click over to on and then it would would drop back to zero. I was wondering if there is an area that shorts out frequently on these models? Any suggestions would be helpful.
BOBLOOK

Re: TE72 starting trouble

Post by BOBLOOK »

Hi

Try to connect an wire straight direct to the starter solenoid hit it on the battery plus see what happen !

Sort in the starter can drop the voltage !

Be careful, car in neutral, also the wire can get hot !
The day we learn to think
baldo

Re: TE72 starting trouble

Post by baldo »

Its funny how everytime we let somebody use our cars something "happens" to it..... :lol:
Is your battery ok? Sometimes the the power cable gets dirty or full of oil and it wont start. (its kind of hard to reach) but try to take the cable off and check it. There is also a cable that you can see on top of it for the solenoid. Same thing, dirty and oil. This is also known as your "beating nut". You hit it with something metal so it will spark and then try to start it. :lol: Starter problems are simple, the two wires, the battery or the starter itself. But if the car died on him and its not clicking I will check the battery first.