Help with short circuit after rebuild

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

lvsanchete72

Help with short circuit after rebuild

Post by lvsanchete72 »

Hey there, last night I tried to crank my car for the first time after rebuilding the motor.
I took pictures before and so I thought everything was in the correct place.

So when I went to hook up the leads to the battery everything was normal but once I turned the key the starter went but after a few spins there was smoke.
Smoke came from the leads, and from the sensor to the water inlet housing in the front of the engine. I also noticed that both leads were hot as were the cables going into the starter.
Also after disconnecting everything I went ahead and tried to connect the leads back into the battery and sparks were flying.

I already checked to see if there was short circuit with a light probe closing the gap between the ground terminal and the ground on the battery and it seems there is a short but other than that the only other information that might be relevant is that when I gutted the car I noticed there was an after market alarm system of sort but even then the car worked fine before everything was taken off.
Also after putting everything together I noticed that I have an extra ground cable, I connected the one to the transmission and the one from the head's back left hand side to the firewall but I don't recall where the third one goes. Would a missing ground even cause this problem ?

This is the first time working on an electrical problem and was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers on what could be going on. Thanks in advance.!
baldo

Re: Help with short circuit after rebuild

Post by baldo »

Thats a scary word to hear when having this problem. GUTTED. :shock: Does that mean you actually took everything out? Like cluster, fuse boxes all wiring etc? If you did you are going to have to check everything again. Electronic problems are the worst. I dont mean to scare you. :lol:
Where is the "extra" ground cable? Sounds like you are only missing the one that goes right next to the chassis from the battery. Make sure everything is connected. Alt, starter, dizzy, and battery cables. If you are not sure about something then unplug it, then try it. A lil spark when you put the cables on the battery can happen. Just not like you said, sparks flying. Sounds like something is backwards or something is touching.
lvsanchete72

Post by lvsanchete72 »

Thanks for the response. Inside I took out all the carpet and dash. All other electrical components are there though.

I do have everything connected but I've made my way into only having the power cable to the starter and that alone seems to be the problem.

From the battery terminal it goes to the engine compartment? Is that the third ground cable you speak of?
baldo

Post by baldo »

From the battery terminal it goes to the engine compartment? Is that the third ground cable you speak of? Is this positive or negative you are talking about? Maybe you need pictures!
lvsanchete72

Post by lvsanchete72 »

I'm confused but let me address one thing at a time.
First thing I have a left over ground cable, one of those thick ones that have ends that are just round things for studs. One goes by the transmission mount, the second from the side of the head to the firewall, but I have no idea where the last one goes.

Second thing. I only have my starter motor connected through the stud that is on top and when that gets connected with a 12v lamp probe between the ground lead and the terminal in the battery I get the light turning on, which I've read means there's a short circuit when everything else is off.

So I just removed my starter, hooked up a wire from + terminal in the battery to the clip on the side, then grounded with the battery and a wire the side of the starter which im sure is the wrong way to test it. But the only reaction I got was the gear thing being pushed outwards.
I would like to know what other test I should do, or even better how I should do it to see if the starter is bad or not.
Thanks Baldo.
lvsanchete72

Post by lvsanchete72 »

http://imgur.com/1xfyqD3
http://imgur.com/f0HPfP0

Here are some pictures of my alternator. I did the following test.
I connected power from a battery of a car that was running to the D connection. Then the bare ground F is connected to the ground of the battery. With the car running I bridged D to E. This caused the starter to pop out and spin a bit before everything went to shit. I was using wire too small and it heated up, burning off the plastic and I ended up burning my sister's bumper and with a dead battery. What is wrong with my starter ?b
baldo

Post by baldo »

Ok the starter does not have ground. It has 2 power. One on D from the battery and there should be another wire from the positive wire that goes to the plug E. So on the second picture you are only using B and C. A you dont have to touch! Now it depends if you connected it wrong on the car something went wrong. I know people hate to admit what they did but telling us exactly what happened is the only way to get to the problem. So did you put anything on A? Did you put a negative on the starter in your car? That should take care of the starter. Now........
What do you mean you have 3 negative wires? Im not sure what you mean by one goes to the tranny. :? From the battery? The one for the battery studs goes to the block and motor mount. Then it should have another one that goes to the fender next to the battery. Thats why I dont get the tranny wire. You know the tranny mount is like in the middle of the car right? Pictures of those wires will help cause I just dont know what you mean.
The starter is supposed to pop out when engaged. Thats what starts the car. Thats why its called the starter! ;) :lol: I guess you can take the starter off and connect the battery. Now make sure nothing is touching. Put tape on the ends or something. If nothing happens ground the cables. The negative and connect the battery again. If nothing happens I would just take the terminals of the battery and hook up the + to the starter OFF THE CAR and put the terminals back. I would put the big cable first, connected. (nothing happens) the plug and connected. Try it both ways the big one then the plug and the plug then the big one. Now you are just connecting wires. Dont try to start it. If nothing happens the put the starter in the car and do the same thing and see what happens.
lvsanchete72

Post by lvsanchete72 »

I had the starter checked out by a place that rebuilds them and now it works, put it in the car and all that is working now. Thanks!

However I still don't know about the whole ground cable thing. Here are some pictures
http://imgur.com/v6uBKFa
http://imgur.com/3H4hmwC
http://imgur.com/Mvcv4EA

A: shows the first ground from head to fire wall
B: is the ground wire to the transmission
C: is the wire I don't know where it gets connected to

Thanks in advance!
BOBLOOK

Post by BOBLOOK »

lvsanchete72 wrote:
C: is the wire I don't know where it gets connected to