Questions about putting in a new alternator

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

Kenny727

Questions about putting in a new alternator

Post by Kenny727 »

Hello everyone. I just bought a 82 Corolla and the dang alternator went out on me!
I already bought one but it might be the wrong one..
I forgot the exact specs and if it has the regulator built in or not.
I seen somewhere that someone who got a higher amp alternator had to go and rewire everything from his alternator to battery for the extra power.. what size should I change out all of the wires? Im not 100% but I think the one on my car is like 40-50 amps and the one i bought is 55-65.

And about the regulator. If i got a carb opposite to what my set up is would it work?
If it helps I seen 3 bolts on the back.. that's external right?
I'm not trying to do the saturn upgrade at this time I just need to get to work lol.
Kenny727

Re: Questions about putting in a new alternator

Post by Kenny727 »

Okay installed the new alternator.
Started a nice electrical fire and had to completely remake my alternator-battery-fusebox harness.
Now When I start I'm at around 10.5 volts.. that means no charge right?
Checked all my fuses, even took the fusebox and cleaned it out.

So I'm thinking 1 of 3 options from most probable to least..
1. Fuse box is burnt out since it overcharged that once?
2.Somehow the regulator is not allowing the alternator to charge?
3. The alternator blew out when I overcharged the wires??

Id like to try to run an external relay.. what one would I use for that?
BOBLOOK

Post by BOBLOOK »

Post picture of the existing alternator and the new one can be probably were mixed do the modification

I need to know which one was mounted in the car that way i can help further !

Don.t mess with the wires that action is going 5 step backward and cost you 10 step to advance forward especial when they have mess with the wires.
The day we learn to think
Kenny727

Post by Kenny727 »

Ok the original one I took off had an internal regulator, the one I put on that causes the wires to burn was external. It has 3 wires to a plug, a power wire and the regulator wire by its self.
I bought a replacement regulator to try that before buying a whole new wiring harness since any wires in the fuse block can be burnt. Also will test relays.
Kenny727

Post by Kenny727 »

Also I ordered a roll of wires. ID like to start re working the harness as I have time.
Whats the recomended size of the 2 power wires coming off of the alternator?
Also if there was an over charge would it cause the actual fuse block to fail?
BOBLOOK

Post by BOBLOOK »

Kenny727 wrote:Ok the original one I took off had an internal regulator, the one I put on that causes the wires to burn was external. It has 3 wires to a plug, a power wire and the regulator wire by its self.
I bought a replacement regulator to try that before buying a whole new wiring harness since any wires in the fuse block can be burnt. Also will test relays.
Wow what an mess you should kept it internal Why? Just because this use only 3x wires !

Battery 12V
Field switched
Light

Thats all

The extern regulator require more wires 5x and then run them to the regulator is more work and headache if you do not have electronic skills.
Kenny727

Post by Kenny727 »

Yeah I had no idea there were different kinds to be honest with you, so I thought it was just an OEM replacement, and whe it sparked I was thinking due to power increase. Was not until uninstall I noticed they were different

Is there any tricks to tearing down the alternator?
cleaning internals?
Dang this car has brought a ton of questions...
I need a "Fix my car" Thread ROFL
BOBLOOK

Post by BOBLOOK »

I advice you to start step by step !

1 start issue
2 charging issue
3 the rest of the issues

Also check felix for another fuelbox
Kenny727

Post by Kenny727 »

I found a fusebox and paid to have it shipped, and alternator. Just need to install both and double check wiring and I should be good to start.

Bob one thing I noticed with this alternator is that where it bolts to the block attachment its a little too small to make it around the outside of it.
The connections are all the same, just that mounting bolt is off as said before.

If I don't get a response I'm going to grind the back section since the front lines up perfectly, The only reason I wanted to avoid that is because I would have to grind off about 4/5ths of it...
BOBLOOK

Post by BOBLOOK »

Kenny727 wrote:
Bob one thing I noticed with this alternator is that where it bolts to the block attachment its a little too small to make it around the outside of it.
The connections are all the same, just that mounting bolt is off as said before.

If I don't get a response I'm going to grind the back section since the front lines up perfectly, The only reason I wanted to avoid that is because I would have to grind off about 4/5ths of it...
Grind it and it fits fine ! :!: Grind the block not the Alternator