te27 Flasher Help

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

connor72

te27 Flasher Help

Post by connor72 »

I had a similar post in the old garage.

I have a 72 te27. I have been having major electrical problems.

A few months ago my turn signals started acting up and would not work at all.. Someone on here mentioned it was probably the flasher unit. I do not think this is the case anymore. After fixing like 10 faulty grounds and cleaning the turn signal switch and cleaning the flasher units prongs The signals work MOST of the time.

Here is an attempt to describe what is going on:
I turn the ignition on,
turn signal switch to the left, they work
Now to the right, they work,
repeat this a few times and they work.
Then, I turn them to the left and they stop working..
to the right, not working either.
Then, if I jiggle the hazard light switch a little.... the Signals will come back on?? And will work a few more times until I have to jiggle the hazard switch again.
I am perplexed :?
I am thinking there is a problem with the hazard light switch that is causing some sort of interruption in current flow randomly?

Anyone have any thoughts it would be appreciated. Sorry if My explaination was confusing.
BOBLOOK

Re: te27 Flasher Help

Post by BOBLOOK »

The turn switch get its current true the hazard switch !
I am thinking there is a problem with the hazard light switch that is causing some sort of interruption in current flow randomly?

Sample diagram is an te72 but have the same work principles ;)
Attachments
hazard.jpg
hazard.jpg (86.96 KiB) Viewed 9574 times
The day we learn to think
connor72

Post by connor72 »

Okay so,
Flasher runs through harzard and then to turn signal switch? Which means my random interuption of power is coming from some problem in the hazard light switch..
Jiggling it obviously makes something connect creating power to flow again... Electrical Drives me nuts. Thanks for the bit of help! Im going to pull the hazard switch out on a day or two and inspect it. clean it up. try it again. if there isnt any change. Ill look into buying a new one :roll:
BOBLOOK

Post by BOBLOOK »

You can check the solders connections on the board, ther's four lips bent them open and you can check the switch internally try to clean the intern contacts !
The day we learn to think
VinceG2

Post by VinceG2 »

Agreed, Hazard switch probably has dirty contacts. When you jiggle it, it probably reseats to a tiny clean area and causes the lights to work again. You can try turning the switch on/off a bunch of times for a temporary fix, but ultimately it will be better to open the switch up and clean inside otherwise the problem will just resurface when you least expect it.
connor72

Post by connor72 »

Well fellas,
Thank you for the help!
I finally got the hazar light switch out. Opened it up, clean as a whistle! I cleaned it anyway and put it back in. Well, I still have the same problem BUT I figured out what is actually causing it. Unfortunately one of the many wires that plugs into the hazard light switch has a short in it. How I tell which one I do not know. After putting the switch back in I noticed that if I shake right behind the plug the flasher will briefly come on. I was messing with it and was able to hold the wires in the exact right spot where the turn signals flashed constantly. There are like 6(?) green wires. One of them is the problem.
VinceG2

Post by VinceG2 »

My guess from the diagram shown above, would be the green wire with the white stripe on it, since it is related to both the flasher relay and turn signal. try jiggling that wire and try not to have the other wires move at the same time. If that causes the intermittent, then bypass or replace that wire.

If not, do the same to each wire until you find which one it is, but Green/White would be my first try.