Charging problem and part question

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

Spudenater

Charging problem and part question

Post by Spudenater »

So yesterday, I was driving to my parents house in the rain. Radio on, wipers, blower, and headlights. Suddenly, I hear a quiet click and my CHG and BRAKE lights come on. After checking the Charge and Engine fuses (which have been culprits before), I cannot find the problem and limp the car home with dim lights, wondering if it will make it.

This morning, I replace the voltage regulator with my old OEM one I kept (had one of those go before too). In the process, I hear something fall underneath the car. I go to start the car first before I look for the piece, and no CHG light! I find the piece, and it looks like a capacitor or resistor or something. I recognize it as having been attached to one of the same bolts that holds the voltage regulator in place, and the wire that went to it is now stripped. I tried grounding that wire directly, as it was black and yellow (ground color) and I blew the Engine fuse. Disconnect it again, no light, no blown fuse.

It seems to work, but I'm skeptical. I had somewhere to be, so I took it for a drive (back to my parents house actually), and about half way, the CHG and BRAKE lights come on again. I check the fuses, nothing blown. Now, the car won't start (not enough juice it seems), and I'm sort of stumped. I can assume the wire has to be grounded for something. So here are my questions.

What does the little resistor thing do? (Looks like a AA battery, only 2/3 as long, attached is a small bracket)

Did I screw up by driving with it disconnected?

If it's done, where do i get another? It has a tag on it, but it's so old the only thing I can sort of make out is "0980-040_" and below that a very faint "50" I think.

I appreciate any help I can get, thanks!
BOBLOOK

Re: Charging problem and part question

Post by BOBLOOK »

That resistor is just the noise interference or Noise Filter for the radio !

It sound like you alternator is bad ?
The day we learn to think
Spudenater

Post by Spudenater »

Wow I was really overthinking that! Hah! Well I replaced the alternator today, still no good, my new voltage regulator comes in tomorrow so we'll see if that's it... Thanks for the reply!
BOBLOOK

Post by BOBLOOK »

Let us know please !
Spudenater

Post by Spudenater »

Yep, alternator/regulator... This is the fourth one I've put on it in just over a year... I wonder why it's eating them up so fast? I took of the original one last year, installed one from Advance auto parts (yeesh, I know), that one crapped out in a week, got another Advance one on warranty, now it's done too. This new one's from Oreilley, so hopefully the Advance ones were just bad rebuilds...
BOBLOOK

Post by BOBLOOK »

You might think about the saturn conversion is posted in DIY section
baldo

Post by baldo »

This is like the achilles heal of the electrical system on toyotas. I got a new one a year ago, put it on, drove less than 2 miles and the screws holding the alternator came lose. Took it back got another one and no voltage. Got another one and lasted 4 months. Awesome! Main problem is the super high aps it puts out, maybe 45 to 55. :lol: I did change the fusible link to upgrade it and it works really good. (bigger wires) Mines is an internal regulator and want to rewire the alternator wires before trying the Saturn upgrade to see the difference. I use to have an external one and anything that you short or something goes wrong, you will need a regulator.
By the way, last time my car clicked and lights went dim and needed a battery, the fusible link was burnt.
Spudenater

Post by Spudenater »

Fusible links? What year is your car? My '80 doesn't have any fusible links, only fuses.
mikealike

Post by mikealike »

BOBLOOK wrote:You might think about the saturn conversion is posted in DIY section
this works great..
Tuner, Builder and Racer. Hit me up for all you needs 2/3tc, 3SGTE or 2RZ custom fabbed parts.
Paypal luzunaris99@gmail.com
baldo

Post by baldo »

No fusible link? You only have 2 cables on the positive only going to the starter and alternator?