ignition coil pack wiring info needed for rpm tac

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

BOBLOOK

Re: ignition coil pack wiring info needed for rpm tac

Post by BOBLOOK »

On the toyota if you see the diagram you can see the tach output (-) going true the igniter to the neg ciol
The day we learn to think
781masshole3tc

Post by 781masshole3tc »

green not yellow, its the only thing coming out of the igniter that the coil is mounted to that is not being used, i looked all around this this and nothing says tac, the tachometer i bought is a mini blackfaced sunpro super tach 2, it did not come with instructions but i found it already online for this exact model of tach. i thought for sure i wouldve had this thing already hooked up and that all of you already did this mod lol.
BOBLOOK

Post by BOBLOOK »

Yeah you should connect the green tack wire on that output connector and it should work fine

Only a few tach require an tach adapter to work
The day we learn to think
73te27

Post by 73te27 »

781masshole3tc wrote:green not yellow, its the only thing coming out of the igniter that the coil is mounted to that is not being used, i looked all around this this and nothing says tac, the tachometer i bought is a mini blackfaced sunpro super tach 2, it did not come with instructions but i found it already online for this exact model of tach. i thought for sure i wouldve had this thing already hooked up and that all of you already did this mod lol.
80 is the only year with that oddball square coil. All the other years had the round coil with the square silver box ignitor. Surprising yours is still working, those have the highest failure rate in my experience.
781masshole3tc

Post by 781masshole3tc »

73te27 wrote:
781masshole3tc wrote:green not yellow, its the only thing coming out of the igniter that the coil is mounted to that is not being used, i looked all around this this and nothing says tac, the tachometer i bought is a mini blackfaced sunpro super tach 2, it did not come with instructions but i found it already online for this exact model of tach. i thought for sure i wouldve had this thing already hooked up and that all of you already did this mod lol.
80 is the only year with that oddball square coil. All the other years had the round coil with the square silver box ignitor. Surprising yours is still working, those have the highest failure rate in my experience.
this info is HUGE to me, i didnt know that, well the next question will be what to replace it with starting from cheap to not too expensive, this is going to be a totally stock engine. im a Ebayer so any info on this the purchase will be through them. thanks again
781masshole3tc

Post by 781masshole3tc »

^^^^ thats actually a crazy question since there are soooo many after market coils out there like Accel, msd etc. i just have to get educated on which model to get, and im assuming if i eliminate the box style entirely that the bottom igniter also gets junked with it. ill study up on google images of other 3tc engine bays to see what they are running, a long time ago my first car was a 1980 ford mustang cobra (4cyl 4sp turbo) and i installed that MONSTER Accel coil 140001 just because it looked cool lol.
Spudenater

Post by Spudenater »

73te27 wrote:
781masshole3tc wrote:80 is the only year with that oddball square coil. All the other years had the round coil with the square silver box ignitor. Surprising yours is still working, those have the highest failure rate in my experience.
Odd, I have a Jan-80 wagon and it's got the round one with the silver box, and as far as I can tell it came stock that way. Now I don't know if this is relevant in the slightest, but when I hooked my aftermarket Nippon Denso tach up, I just crimped eyelets onto the end of my wires, and attached them directly to the positive and negative posts on my coil, worked like a charm. Also, I have factory wiring diagrams from Toyota if you need them, I don't think I can scan them, but I could try and take good pictures or something.

EDIT: Scratch that, I could scan them, I know the university will let me use their scanners for free. If anyone needs anything from the factory manuals, lemme know, I got the 7 volume set. They're dated 1980, so I don't know how relevant they are to all the other years though.