alternator failure?

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

totorote27

alternator failure?

Post by totorote27 »

i have remanufactured alternator with less than 500 miles on it and i took it to get tested and it failed. i noticed issues when i did glen helen rallycross last weekend. i would start the car do a run and then pull back in que, shut the car off for ten minutes or so and then restart it and do another run. each run was just over a minute long. i am trying to figure out why the alternator failed. 500 miles seems like a short life for an alternator. my thoughts are possibly getting too hot from header or just starting and stopping the engine with too little of run time. could the alternator fail if it is under rated. like if the car demanded more than the alternator was putting out? any thoughts?
7t5-27

Re: alternator failure?

Post by 7t5-27 »

there have been times when new parts just fail, understanding it is not exactly the same but I went through 3 ecu's from the parts store recently for a car I was working on and all three were bad right out of the carton the 4th cured the issue. it might possibly be that the alternator was built with faulty parts that just gave up the ghost. Does it have a warranty? Good Luck.
its a TA 27 not a TE 27
baldo

Post by baldo »

In my opinion alternators are the worst parts to get from the parts store along with regulators. They seem to go out in about a year or less. If you get lucky it will work more than 2 or 3 years. Mines went out a few months back. It was easy to change so I did it before going to work. Less than 5 miles I hear a metal sound grinding. I thought I forgot something. After trying to figure out what I did, couldnt see anything. I started the car to see what happens and the atlernator was just falling apart on me! 3 of the 4 screws that hold it together came out and was hitting the pulley. Well that just made me really :evil: . The next one I got did not work. :evil: :evil: :evil: Sooooo I dont think its you on this one! :lol: :lol: Try to get a BRD one or upgrade it.
totorote27

Post by totorote27 »

the alternator in question is from BRD. i have contacted randy and am sending him the alternator to look at it and see what is wrong. then go from there.