Brake Master upgrade

General information for parts interchange and modification.

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

delbeke

Brake Master upgrade

Post by delbeke »

Hey guys so my brake master cylinder is done with and I'm wondering what you guys have done with upgrades.
My car is a 81 te72 coupe.. Ive done some research and someone has said 02-06 non abs camry could fit and also be an upgrade?

Also a ae86 gts rear end is going into the te72 in upcoming months... any suggestions or write ups? thanks.
BOBLOOK

Re: Brake Master upgrade

Post by BOBLOOK »

You can use ae86 or tercel
The day we learn to think
Drift76

Post by Drift76 »

Is there a noticeable benefit to upgrading the master cylinder?
Rodger

Post by Rodger »

Some motorsport organisations require dual circuit master cylinders. Not being familiar with the US model Toyotas, if you have a single circuit cylinder then a change to a dual circuit one would be good. Here in Aus we are required to compete with dual circuit systems, either with a dual piston M/C or a M/C for each axle.

If it is a change in M/C size from say 13/16th to 15/16 or 1 inch (Camry) without a change in Wheel cylinder size you progressively get a harder shorter pedal feel. My TA-22 here in Aus has the Camry M/C and MA60 sized front calipers and the brakes are very hard and have little feel on the road, but on the track once the pads are hot they have great feel.

If you change the calipers for bigger ones and keep the orginal M/C you get a long soft pedal that may feel as though they are not working.

My rule of thumb is:- for given grip and brake combination, can the wheels be locked when brakes are applied with good force and feel? Not a heavy pull on the steering wheel shove or a feather light long pedal. Then you know when you are on the braking limit.
Regards
Rodger
Lover of the Solex/Mikuni sound
http://www.rmcarburetors.net