How do I maximize mpgs? 1980 te-72 wagon

General information for parts interchange and modification.

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

zfunk

How do I maximize mpgs? 1980 te-72 wagon

Post by zfunk »

Greetings,
I just bought a beautiful 1980 te-72 wagon with only 108 og miles on it. My main goal in buying/driving is to achieve the best gas mileage possible. Obviously, mpg efficiency is something maximized with the collective fine tuning of an efficient aftermarket carburetor, clutch, alignment, tire pressure, and lastly, suspension.

I'm curious if anyone has any sources, data, or experience with achieving greater mpgs, specifically, via a more rigid suspension system, and/or via carburetor swaps, or any other tricks.

Your input is greatly appreciated!
Gratitude!
Zfunk
hemilove

Re: How do I maximize mpgs? 1980 te-72 wagon

Post by hemilove »

thinner tires, lighter car les wind restrictions or drag and clean filters and synthetic oil lower rpm and less stopping time.
mikealike

Post by mikealike »

zfunk wrote:Greetings,
I just bought a beautiful 1980 te-72 wagon with only 108 og miles on it. My main goal in buying/driving is to achieve the best gas mileage possible. Obviously, mpg efficiency is something maximized with the collective fine tuning of an efficient aftermarket carburetor, clutch, alignment, tire pressure, and lastly, suspension.

I'm curious if anyone has any sources, data, or experience with achieving greater mpgs, specifically, via a more rigid suspension system, and/or via carburetor swaps, or any other tricks.

Your input is greatly appreciated!
Gratitude!
Zfunk
making it friction free makes the best mileage...
Tuner, Builder and Racer. Hit me up for all you needs 2/3tc, 3SGTE or 2RZ custom fabbed parts.
Paypal luzunaris99@gmail.com
zfunk

Post by zfunk »

Thinner tires makes a lot of sense, as does reducing drag and rolling resistance. I will get to this in time, and I only use synthetic oil and I'm extremely meticulous with oil changes and filter upkeep. I'm sure a larger exhaust package will help the engine breathe and improve mileage as well, but if anyone can guide me in the right direction, that'd be rad. I'm not looking for a loud, muffler/exhaust combo, just something with a less resistance and a bigger bore.

Also, has anyone had any gas mileage improvements with more rigid suspension packages and/or with a different carb option? I've heard a lot of praise about weber carbs, but some think they reduce fuel efficiency by inversely improving performance. Thoughts?
THanks
zfunk
oldeskewltoy

Post by oldeskewltoy »

get rid of the carb.. and mount and tune an EFI system... run AFRs of around 16 on the highway... along with a higher final drive (lower number) you may be able to push a "T" to nearly 40 mpg
Spudenater

Post by Spudenater »

I've been able to get 27.5 with a single weber DCOE carb, a high compression head, and 2.5" crush bent exhaust on my '80 wagon. The carb could be tuned even more towards the MPG side if I had a mind too, but I need that getting-on-the-freeway-from-a-standing-stop power that comes with living in a city. Mind you this is also with 13x7 wheels and a shitty alignment. I expect if I had lightweight, slim wheels, a leaner tune, and maybe a lighter flywheel I would be in the 30's no problem. Throw in a 2" drop and an airdam, and you'd really be cooking. I don't know how much the rigidity of your suspension will really effect efficiency as much as ride height would. A lower car has less drag from air passing beneath the chassis, of course. Furthermore, I think oldskewltoy is right, for the best MPG possible, EFI is the way to go. You can do alot with carbs, but there's a reason all new cars have had EFI since like the late 80's, it works!
BOBLOOK

Post by BOBLOOK »

When am over in USA i don't complain about the gas price nor the mpgs as we pay overhere in Netherlands 8.60 U$D for gallon :lol: :lol:
The day we learn to think
zfunk

Post by zfunk »

Cheers everyone! Thanks for the beta
zfunk
Foxau2

Post by Foxau2 »

I'm running 2TGEU EFI gear on a tired factory original 2TC. Megasquirt is my ecu. I've gotten 35-37 every tank for the past 8 months since I installed the EFI stuff. I'm running huge 215/70-14 tires. If I were to rebuild it with higher comp pistons, and go back to stock 13 inch wheels I could very easily get it into the 40's mpg. I run about 16.5 AFR during cruise on the freeway. It's way stronger than it ever was with either the factory carb or a weber carb, and much better mileage.

If you're building for mileage and drivability, EFI really is the only way to go.
Spudenater

Post by Spudenater »

What kind of money did you drop on that EFI setup, if you don't mind me asking?