1982 Te72 Liftback Drift suspension and brakes.

General information for parts interchange and modification.

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

Heythatsmethatguy

1982 Te72 Liftback Drift suspension and brakes.

Post by Heythatsmethatguy »

Im fairly limited in my automotive knowledge.
I have an 82 Corolla liftback. Not the sr5 but it has a five speed 3tc.
Im looking into a drift suspension and breaks, Ive looked at Toytechtuning and they seem to have a hand full of things for it. But I wanted a definitive list of what I will need. What I can buy And/or what Ill have to source from junkers or oem part distributors. Id preferably like to go bolt on rather than weld on simply because I have no welder/experience with a welder and im not sure if welding is very cheap as far as labor goes.

Anything Helps.
Thankyou in advance!
baldo

Re: 1982 Te72 Liftback Drift suspension and brakes.

Post by baldo »

Im fairly limited in my automotive knowledge. Id preferably like to go bolt on rather than weld on simply because I have no welder/experience with a welder and im not sure if welding is very cheap as far as labor goes..............
Boy do you have a problem! Im not sure you will get many replies because of what you said. But I will give you a hint.......... AE86.
Justins82

Post by Justins82 »

baldo wrote:Im fairly limited in my automotive knowledge. Id preferably like to go bolt on rather than weld on simply because I have no welder/experience with a welder and im not sure if welding is very cheap as far as labor goes..............
Boy do you have a problem! Im not sure you will get many replies because of what you said. But I will give you a hint.......... AE86.
Why would no one help him because of what he said? Rude
baldo

Post by baldo »

:shock: :o Are you serious right now!? He said he wants a drifting suspension with limited automotive knowledge and wants a "definitive" parts list. Obviously he was trying to find parts for TE72 parts. So I pointed him in the right direction and look at AE86 parts. I had a feeling he would not get many replies because most people get racing suspension and not drift for one. Second, by me telling him to look for AE86 suspension parts everybody knows thats what he should be looking into and find lots of parts for his list. So I try to help him out, 80 views and no reply. I was wrong? .............. But you are going reply and say that I am rude? Grow up dude! CAN ANYBODY HELP THIS GUY WITH THE DRIFT SUSPENSION AND BRAKES? Sorry if it came out offensive to some people, but we are all adults talking to adults. :roll:
Spudenater

Post by Spudenater »

SO ANYWAY...

If you're going T3, they have a full budget kit, front and back, that's just under $1,100. If you're looking to do it cheaper, you can do things piece-meal and try and hunt down parts second-hand and such. I am in no way an expert, but here's what I think you'll need.

Coil Over sleeves (F&R)
Lowering springs (F&R)
Short stroke struts (F)
Short stroke shocks (R)
Roll Center Adjusters (F only if lowering 2"+)
Camber Plates (F)

I hear "King" brand springs are popular with the Aussies, and are a good budget choice. You will have to decide how much drop you want and how stiff you want. Stiffer is better for drifting, but you'll feel everything if you street it, so occasional track/street cars should be in between. The short stroke shocks/struts keep the ride from being too bouncy, and are better suited to lowered cars. If you lower the car, and don't change the shocks/struts, you'll over compress them and blow them out. Most people use SW20 (2nd gen MR2) struts for the front, and Camaro/Mustang shocks for the rear from what I hear. The Mustang/Camaro shocks may require to to swap out the bushings, not too hard. Roll Center Adjusters (RCA's) correct the geometry of the steering equipment when the car is lowered more than 2". Without an RCA, you put undue stress on steering components, and can induce "bump steer". You can also get Negative Camber Roll Center Adjusters (NCRCA's) which do the same thing, but add width to the track of the front suspension, and extra negative camber*. Camber plates allow you to control the amount of camber on the front suspension, adding or subtracting angle. Your rear suspension will always have 0 degrees though, as it is a solid axle.

Additional pieces to consider are widened Lower Control Arms (LCA's), which can either be bought custom, or scavenged from certain Celicas (RA40, RA50), and maybe others. Wider LCA's add more track and more negative camber. Power steering knuckles, when paired with a manual steering rack, provide more steering angle for drifting. Either buy these online, or scavenge them from other compatible Corollas. You can also bolt on AE86 Corolla front assemblies. This allows you to use AE86 springs, struts, brakes, and other parts that are much more readily available than TE72 compatible parts.. A quick brake upgrade with no fabrication would include getting AE86 GT-S front spindles with brakes, which are better than stock TE72 brakes. The same goes for AE86 rear axles, some of which come with disc brakes and Limited Slip Differentials (LSD's). Good luck finding these in a junkyard, you'll probably have to buy them on a forum (like Club4AG). Really there are so many possibilities, it depends on your time, budget, and access to parts. If you have any questions, or there's something I missed, PM me...

*(negative camber is the top of the wheels angling in, and the bottoms angling out, which is good for traction at full lock, aka when drifting)