Retarding ign. timing in efi turbo setups with distributor

Here's where you post EFI and TURBO conversion, configurations, and questions related.

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

BOBLOOK

Re: Retarding ignition timing in turbo setups with distribut

Post by BOBLOOK »

What they told you is correct and distributor locking count for ALL dizzy ignitions running custom timing !

In what they have told you is WHEN YOU ARE RUNNING FUEL ONLY ECU ( fuel only ecu control only the fuel injection) you will need an standalone separate ignition system in order to retard the timing

Distributer locking PLease don't use this methode :lol: :lol: Little ghetto if the wires broke on boost you suck

slaus wrote:Thanks Jason and Bob!!

it's just that i was told that if i'm going fuel injected with the 3TC using the stock distributor, i would have to either just lock the distributor or use a separate ignition box to pull out timing with boost, since the ECU would not be able to control the timing using the stock distributor.

My next question is, in a 25+ psi boost application, how does locking the timing at say 28 degrees weigh against pulling out timing as boost rises from a horsepower standpoint?

When you use an Fuel and timing Ecu then you won't need the separate box as you can set your own timing/advance/retard ECU table.
The day we learn to think
RYSO

Post by RYSO »

Locking dizzy and fuel only was our "back in the day" thing.

You first need to find your engines MBT (on a dyno) before knowing what timing is best to run.

RYSO.
R Y S O - T E C H
Home of the fastest bikes and cars
RYSO-TECH Starlet 9.03sec @ 150mph
Official Haltech dealer, Certified tuner
Dynojet 224 chassis dyno
mikealike

Post by mikealike »

RYSO wrote:Locking dizzy and fuel only was our "back in the day" thing.

You first need to find your engines MBT (on a dyno) before knowing what timing is best to run.

RYSO.
tools needed to do it correctly! this is the best way (IMO) since timing will not shift with wear and tear or chain stretch. Dyno is necessary cause all setups are different.
Tuner, Builder and Racer. Hit me up for all you needs 2/3tc, 3SGTE or 2RZ custom fabbed parts.
Paypal luzunaris99@gmail.com
RYSO

Post by RYSO »

mikealike wrote:
RYSO wrote:Locking dizzy and fuel only was our "back in the day" thing.

RYSO.
tools needed to do it correctly! this is the best way (IMO) since timing will not shift with wear and tear or chain stretch. Dyno is necessary cause all setups are different.
Ofcourse, crank trigger is 100% better.
But I said "back in the days", when many only did the locking trick.

RYSO.
R Y S O - T E C H
Dynojet 224 chassis dyno
BOBLOOK

Post by BOBLOOK »

crank trigger is 100% better
Why ?? The only thing is the timing is more accurate :!:
RYSO

Post by RYSO »

BOBLOOK wrote:
crank trigger is 100% better
Why ?? The only thing is the timing is more accurate :!:
You already answered your own question : more accurate timing.

The degrees at the crank is the true engine/piston position.

Remember, distributors and CAS (Nissan) all spin by a cam.
Timing chain stretch/slop, chain tensioners, guides all have an impact on timing accuracy.

Ive seen timing drift as much as 10-12 degrees when giving a bit of throttle, that's why you always need to verify timing at about 2000+rpm's.

I hope this clarifies.

RYSO.
R Y S O - T E C H
Dynojet 224 chassis dyno
mallito1.8

Re: Retarding ign. timing in efi turbo setups with distribut

Post by mallito1.8 »

Hey ryso i see that your a haltech and tuner I have a f10x fuel only and I'm having issues starting my car . I was hoping for some tips on what might be wrong or what can I do. I started the car with the wires to my injectors wrong and it started and now I found them wrong and wired them correctly I'm having issues to start. I know there needs to be a radiator on for temp start and I'm having one built but can that cause it to not turn on ? And sorry for jacking the thread but I'm getting desperate and really need help. Thanks
BOBLOOK

Post by BOBLOOK »

I got the point but i assume most people who have turbo engine who want the most performance out of it will most have fresh build parts so no stretched chain/belt factor ;)

RYSO wrote:

The degrees at the crank is the true engine/piston position.

Remember, distributors and CAS (Nissan) all spin by a cam.
Timing chain stretch/slop, chain tensioners, guides all have an impact on timing accuracy.

Ive seen timing drift as much as 10-12 degrees when giving a bit of throttle, that's why you always need to verify timing at about 2000+rpm's.

I hope this clarifies.

RYSO.
BOBLOOK

Post by BOBLOOK »

If you want i can slit this post for an new tech section help question :?:

But i don't get this ?
Are you referring to the temperature sensor
I know there needs to be a radiator on for temp start and I'm having one built but can that cause it to not turn on ?

mallito1.8 wrote:Hey ryso i see that your a haltech and tuner I have a f10x fuel only and I'm having issues starting my car . I was hoping for some tips on what might be wrong or what can I do. I started the car with the wires to my injectors wrong and it started and now I found them wrong and wired them correctly I'm having issues to start. I know there needs to be a radiator on for temp start and I'm having one built but can that cause it to not turn on ? And sorry for jacking the thread but I'm getting desperate and really need help. Thanks
mallito1.8

Post by mallito1.8 »

BOBLOOK wrote:If you want i can slit this post for an new tech section help question :?:

But i don't get this ?
Are you referring to the temperature sensor
I know there needs to be a radiator on for temp start and I'm having one built but can that cause it to not turn on ?

mallito1.8 wrote:Hey ryso i see that your a haltech and tuner I have a f10x fuel only and I'm having issues starting my car . I was hoping for some tips on what might be wrong or what can I do. I started the car with the wires to my injectors wrong and it started and now I found them wrong and wired them correctly I'm having issues to start. I know there needs to be a radiator on for temp start and I'm having one built but can that cause it to not turn on ? And sorry for jacking the thread but I'm getting desperate and really need help. Thanks

sorry Bob I'll make a post for help. But I'll try to make it short. I swapped to Fi and I have a f10x haltech I had my injector wires wrong and being that way it turned on now that I corrected the wires it won't turn on. I was told because I don't have a radiator in place and the temp sensor is not reading or knowing what temp start my car is flooding. I so call got a map in it but I don't know how to change fuel up or down and opinion please thanks