EFI Fuel Tank Options

Here's where you post EFI and TURBO conversion, configurations, and questions related.

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

coitre20

EFI Fuel Tank Options

Post by coitre20 »

Finished up my swap this summer on my KE30. I am using the stock tank feeding the pump through the drain plug and returning fuel back to the top of the tank. The pump is failing on me and I am sure it is due to fuel starvation.

Has anyone used the stock tank on the KE30 / TE31 for their EFI setup? Can you let me know how you made it work reliably?

I am really against installing a fuel cell. Is a surge tank my only option?
chesmari

Re: EFI Fuel Tank Options

Post by chesmari »

coitre20 wrote:Finished up my swap this summer on my KE30. I am using the stock tank feeding the pump through the drain plug and returning fuel back to the top of the tank. The pump is failing on me and I am sure it is due to fuel starvation.

Has anyone used the stock tank on the KE30 / TE31 for their EFI setup? Can you let me know how you made it work reliably?

I used this 1 gallon aluminum fuel cell as a surge tank for my TE37:

Then installed a bulkhead fitting for a feed tube to fill the surge tank through a fuel pump, connected the bottom bung to a fuel pump going to the fuel rail, return line going back to the surge tank and a return line going to the main tank.

Like this:

HTH

Ryan
coitre20

Post by coitre20 »

@Chesmari Thanks for the follow up. I never thought of using a small capacity fuel cell as a surge tank. Did you use the factory lines from the top of the tank to run your lines to the lift pump? I just want to know how you ran your lines to and from the tank.

Thanks again
chesmari

Post by chesmari »

coitre20 wrote:@Chesmari Thanks for the follow up. I never thought of using a small capacity fuel cell as a surge tank. Did you use the factory lines from the top of the tank to run your lines to the lift pump? I just want to know how you ran your lines to and from the tank.

Thanks again
I ended up soldering aluminum tubes replacing the original ones. You don't really need to do it the way I did mine. Since you have the lines up and running already, just use those to connect to the surge tank, what matters is you are able to fill up the surge tank and circulate the excess fuel. You can use Volvo fuel pumps that are readily available in many Pick your Part yards, make sure to use filters on both sides. I hope that makes sense.

Ryan
7t5-27

Post by 7t5-27 »

Interesting I also ran a surge tank when I injected my TA27 but have had several issues that I hope to have finally worked out but I used the same set up basically but the fuel returning from the rail would heat up the surge tank and the hot fuel would end up killing the efi pump because of the hot fuel. very frustrating. Good Luck stay safe
Greg
its a TA 27 not a TE 27
chesmari

Post by chesmari »

7t5-27 wrote:Interesting I also ran a surge tank when I injected my TA27 but have had several issues that I hope to have finally worked out but I used the same set up basically but the fuel returning from the rail would heat up the surge tank and the hot fuel would end up killing the efi pump because of the hot fuel. very frustrating. Good Luck stay safe
Greg

Maybe an inline fuel heatsink would help cooling the heated fuel?

Ryan
7t5-27

Post by 7t5-27 »

That might have had the desired effect I just rerouted the return line to the tank, overflow to the tank from the surge tank and capped one of the ports on the surge tank. I also increased the feed to to the lift pump and from the lift pump to the surge tank with -8an lines the lift pump being a carter electric 4600hp this seems to have solved those issues. Stay safe
Greg
its a TA 27 not a TE 27
BOBLOOK

Post by BOBLOOK »

coitre20 wrote:Finished up my swap this summer on my KE30. I am using the stock tank feeding the pump through the drain plug and returning fuel back to the top of the tank. The pump is failing on me and I am sure it is due to fuel starvation.

Am always wondering how people can use the drain plug to install the fuel source. Drain plug is for drain...........what do you think the pump will do with the fuel debris in the tank...gravity make the heavy debris to sink in the button and cause failure to your. Remember Old rusty tanks
The day we learn to think
7t5-27

Post by 7t5-27 »

BOBLOOK wrote:

Am always wondering how people can use the drain plug to install the fuel source. Drain plug is for drain...........what do you think the pump will do with the fuel debris in the tank...gravity make the heavy debris to sink in the button and cause failure to your. Remember Old rusty tanks
I have to agree with that I welded a small sump with a 3/8 NPT female fitting and then used -8AN to feed the surge tank, The drain plug I kept for just that, a drain plug.
Greg
its a TA 27 not a TE 27
coitre20

Post by coitre20 »

I am likely going to have the tank modiifed rather than run a surge tank. Thanks again.