Electronic ignition upgrade on a 3t-c

Here's where you post EFI and TURBO conversion, configurations, and questions related.

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

Kenny727

Electronic ignition upgrade on a 3t-c

Post by Kenny727 »

I want to upgrade my 3t-c by upgrading my ignition.
ID just like to know what different brands make what I need, and what items I would actually need to buy.
I know MSD Is the best and it cost just over 300$ for 6al (I think without distributor)
Can I just buy a distributor and ignitor to get the performance and maybe just not be able to fine tune it? I would still be able to advance and retard right?

My car does not have points.
mikealike

Re: Electronic ignition upgrade on a 3t-c

Post by mikealike »

if you remove the dizzy, your going to need a ignition computer, crank trigger, coil packs, and tuning. If you stay with the electronic dizzy use the msd 6 or 7 series. If your tuning the total timing you can use the gm recurve kit.
Tuner, Builder and Racer. Hit me up for all you needs 2/3tc, 3SGTE or 2RZ custom fabbed parts.
Paypal luzunaris99@gmail.com
Kenny727

Post by Kenny727 »

So I can upgrade to 6AL without upgrading my Distributor?

And Did you mean by completely removing the distributor?
I just meant an upgraded distributor with 6AL.
What will the GM recurve kit do?

rade my 3t-c by upgrading my ignition.
ID just like to know what different brands make what I need, and what items I would actually need to buy.
I know MSD Is the best and it cost just over 300$ for 6al (I think without distributor)
Can I just buy a distributor and ignitor to get the performance and maybe just not be able to fine tune it? I would still be able to advance and retard right?

My car does not have points.

if you remove the dizzy, your going to need a ignition computer, crank trigger, coil packs, and tuning. If you stay with the electronic dizzy use the msd 6 or 7 series. If your tuning the total timing you can use the gm recurve kit.
ToadFish

Post by ToadFish »

mikealike wrote:if you remove the dizzy, your going to need a ignition computer, crank trigger, coil packs, and tuning. If you stay with the electronic dizzy use the msd 6 or 7 series. If your tuning the total timing you can use the gm recurve kit.
Is that the MSD GM Recurve Kit that you can adjust the total advance with? and what is the total maximum advance you can adjust to?

Cheers
Todd
hemilove

Post by hemilove »

Meaning to ask okay my dyno tuner made 192hp on just the fuel table on the dyno at 14psi boost I had a coolant leak after the last pull he freaked out thought I blew the head gasket then after that said that he didn't tune the ignition timing it was just stabbed with no advance and no retard but y'all mean to tell me that y'all tune the ignition Randy from bed said to stab the distributor and take out the advance and call it done at a certain degree. My plan is to get a 30psi spring and go back and tune it again with my dyno guy will I see a difference then?