3TC turbo versus 3TGTE

Here's where you post EFI and TURBO conversion, configurations, and questions related.

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

ta22gt

3TC turbo versus 3TGTE

Post by ta22gt »

Hi all,
I have a TA22 fitted with 3TGTE. At the moment Im doing a major rebuild on the engine and aiming for a bit more power. Currently with stock internals I'm getting 145kw at the wheels.

I see a few people with 3TC turbos putting out some crazy numbers. Got my wondering if there is any reason why a 3TC should have any more or less power potential than a 3TGTE?

Ive never heard of someone with a 3TGTE getting enough power to run an 8 second 1/4 mile like some of you 3TC turbo guys do. What mods are needed for this? I assume boost must be massive? And I also assume most are using Eagle rods with Wiesco pistons?

I'm not looking for anything too insane but have a target of 200 rwkw in mind....

Thanks!
Simon
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Classic- ... ref=stream
NME308

Re: 3TC turbo versus 3TGTE

Post by NME308 »

Hi Mate,
The 3TGTE will ROMP in 200rwkw with bog stock internals if you have fuel system, turbo, and tune to match. Boost will not be too high. I ran 200rwkw on 22psi with my 3TC using bog stock head and valves and a cam of 230 deg intake and 220 deg exhaust, a set of 3S Beams factory pistons fitted to the stock 3TC rods with ARP rod bolts and the rest was factory laced up with an ebay gasket kit. I blew that engine up a couple of years later after having slowly tuned it up to 38psi boost.

The 3TGTE just happened to be a rather low volume engine by comparison to the pushrod garden variety 3TC so I think that is why there is not too many people going radical with them. I would venture to say anything achievable with the 3TC can be done with a 3TGTE! The question of (or rather hint of question) how much boost to run an 8 second pass is pretty much as long as a length of string! If you went down the race porting and large cams route then the 700rwhp or so required to put a 2500lb car into the 8's at 150mph could be achieved with around 35psi boost. You would of course have similar to the 3TC boys worth of forged bottom end and all the good gear up the top end with custom intake and exhaust manifolds etc etc.

Cheers,
Jason
ta22gt

Post by ta22gt »

Thanks Jason. 38PSI sounds insane....

I'll be starting the rebuild on my 3TGTE soon, just looking at a few options now. What size injectors were you using for 200rwkw?

Cheers,
Simon
ta22gt

Post by ta22gt »

Hey Jason,
Also wondering what size pistons you had and what the feeling is around maximum bore size for a 3TC?

Thanks,
Simon
NME308

Post by NME308 »

ta22gt wrote:Thanks Jason. 38PSI sounds insane....

I'll be starting the rebuild on my 3TGTE soon, just looking at a few options now. What size injectors were you using for 200rwkw?

Cheers,
Simon
I think I was using 66 primary jets and 88 secondaries, I also had done the crutch powervalve modification and extended vent tubes... Oh wait injectors??? :shock: No I use a mildly modded holley 4 barrel carb! :lol:

The bore size for that engine was 86mm which is 1mm over standard 85mm bore. My current build has an 87mm bore which is as big as I am advised it is wise to go when chasing some reasonable boost/power figures. For me the bore size has purely been dictated by available and cheap pistons!

You haunt the Toymods forum too I think??

Cheers,
Jason
ta22gt

Post by ta22gt »

I'm thinking of using 87mm Wiesco forged pistons. Have wondered if going 2mm over is too much of if I should get some 86mm pistons...

Haha, sorry thought you had EFI. I've used 440cc to date but thinking of using 550cc next time. Hoping that's enough fuel for 200rwkw..l

Cheers,
Simon
UtahSleeper

Post by UtahSleeper »

Were you having lean issues on the 440's or just want to make sure you dont run out of injector?

Early 3sgte's used 440's and could pass 200 hp easily. Most people said 300 was the limit of the fuel system on those cars.
Attempt at a car channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/UtahSleeper
1980 Corolla
1988 Celica Alltrac
2013 FR-S
ta22gt

Post by ta22gt »

No fuel issues, 440s are perfect for my current GT25 turbo. Next rebuild I'm thinking of building a new manifold and fitting a bigger turbo, maybe something like a GT3076....

Hence the need for bigger injectors.

Cheers,
Simon