MSD 6AL-2 programmable expiriance

Here's where you post EFI and TURBO conversion, configurations, and questions related.

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

BOBLOOK

Re: MSD 6AL-2 programmable expiriance

Post by BOBLOOK »

toyotero2dend wrote:You r one lucky guy Bob ;)
I know i am a cheap @ss collected everything to store in the shed :lol: :lol:
The day we learn to think
slaus

Post by slaus »

NME308 wrote:Hi Boblook,
My whinge with the MSD6AL-2 software is the 2D mapping.
For 30PSI boost you can program (for example) 28 degrees timing. Regardless of whether you see 30PSI at 3000rpm through 7500rpm there is only one timing figure you can tell the engine...

I prefer to be able to set timing by reference to both RPM & boost i.e. at 30PSI & 3000rpm I may want 23 degrees timing & at 30PSI & 7500rpm I may want 28 degrees timing. I feel 3D mapping is a distinct advantage on a small displacement hi performance engine & even more so when it is boosted. :-)

I find MSD gear to be extremely agricultural & hence superbly suited to excessive cubic inch American V8's!! :lol:

Cheers,
Jason
Jason, this is dissapointing :( i have my 6AL-2 sitting waiting to put on my 2TB when i turbo it in a few weeks but you're saying it may be to my disadvantage? So better i lock the timing than use the 6AL-2?
NME308

Post by NME308 »

slaus wrote: Jason, this is dissapointing :( i have my 6AL-2 sitting waiting to put on my 2TB when i turbo it in a few weeks but you're saying it may be to my disadvantage? So better i lock the timing than use the 6AL-2?
Hi Slaus,
I am not a big fan of the MSD and its limitations - BUT - I still made plenty of power. After tuning on the engine combo for a couple of years I wanted more and the MSD was becoming a limitation, however that was 350+RWHP. The limitation comes in the form of only being able to give a timing figure to suit the peak torque requirement of the engine since that is most likely where detonation will occur. For drag strip use I was playing with the run curve to attempt to taylor some timing advance after peak torque but it was a bit crude...

Since you have the MSD6AL-2 I would certainly not throw it away! :lol: You will most definitely want to lock the timing on your dizzy and program the timing curves with the MSD however. Trying to make the MSD do its thing while the factory dizzy is attempting to do its own thing will be a nightmare!

Some day down the road you may wish to sell your MSD to a V8 guy if and when you find it to be limiting your tuning.

Cheers,
Jason
slaus

Post by slaus »

NME308 wrote:
slaus wrote: Jason, this is dissapointing :( i have my 6AL-2 sitting waiting to put on my 2TB when i turbo it in a few weeks but you're saying it may be to my disadvantage? So better i lock the timing than use the 6AL-2?
Hi Slaus,
I am not a big fan of the MSD and its limitations - BUT - I still made plenty of power. After tuning on the engine combo for a couple of years I wanted more and the MSD was becoming a limitation, however that was 350+RWHP. The limitation comes in the form of only being able to give a timing figure to suit the peak torque requirement of the engine since that is most likely where detonation will occur. For drag strip use I was playing with the run curve to attempt to taylor some timing advance after peak torque but it was a bit crude...

Since you have the MSD6AL-2 I would certainly not throw it away! :lol: You will most definitely want to lock the timing on your dizzy and program the timing curves with the MSD however. Trying to make the MSD do its thing while the factory dizzy is attempting to do its own thing will be a nightmare!

Some day down the road you may wish to sell your MSD to a V8 guy if and when you find it to be limiting your tuning.

Cheers,
Jason
ok cool, will have to contact you for a few curves when i get it installed then!
BOBLOOK

Post by BOBLOOK »

So it means you need to use an map sensor to configure it ??

Can you use it without map sensor ?
NME308

Post by NME308 »

BOBLOOK wrote:So it means you need to use an map sensor to configure it ??

Can you use it without map sensor ?

You can use the ignition without a map sensor! :)
The timing can be configured by reference against rpm in the 'run' map.

Cheers,
Jason
BOBLOOK

Post by BOBLOOK »

Awesome Jason i will install this on the RX7 is running little rich :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
toyotero2dend

Post by toyotero2dend »

My boy has that 6al2 but on a turbo blow throuhg stang and he told me it works like a charm,,told me to get it for my set up , but I see Jason doesn't recommend it for the 3tc blow through,,I guess I'll stick to my 6al & the boost master ;) ,,,',,Jason did you start the car already?
Tate Quieto
NME308

Post by NME308 »

toyotero2dend wrote:My boy has that 6al2 but on a turbo blow throuhg stang and he told me it works like a charm,,told me to get it for my set up , but I see Jason doesn't recommend it for the 3tc blow through,,I guess I'll stick to my 6al & the boost master ;) ,,,',,Jason did you start the car already?
Nearly ready to attempt fire up on the individual coil setup...

The MSD6AL and boost master is where I started originally and ended up hating it too! :lol: My 'thing' ends up being that I constantly attempt to improve the tune and engine response etc and find the lack of 3D mapping for ignition really limits my ability to fine tune. For a big cube engine of V8 configuration (small block or big block) there is enough torque to mask a reasonable amount of inefficiency so the MSD ignitions are just fine in my opinion.

There is nothing intrinsically wrong with the MSD6AL-2 or the MSD6AL + boost master, it is more just my personal preference for playing with a much broader spectrum of ignition timing available with other solutions. People go WAY faster than I will and make MUCH more power than I will with locked out timing on 3TC's however the driveability can be improved significantly with lots of ignition finessing.

Cheers,
Jason
BOBLOOK

Post by BOBLOOK »

I sold mine local for one simpler 6Al