MSD 6AL-2 programmable expiriance

Here's where you post EFI and TURBO conversion, configurations, and questions related.

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

BOBLOOK

MSD 6AL-2 programmable expiriance

Post by BOBLOOK »

MSD 6AL-2 programmable expiriance does any one have run this box before i just brought it lol

The day we learn to think
NME308

Re: MSD 6AL-2 programmable expiriance

Post by NME308 »

I used the MSD6AL-2 programmable ignition with map sensor on my 3TC turbo engine for a couple of years.
It is marginal for functionality... :?
The mapping for ignition is 2D only which I found terrible for my turbo charged application. By that I mean you only get to set ignition mapping by MAP sensor so regardless of rpm you only set one ignition timing figure for a given PSI(Kpa) figure.

I prefer an old/cheap ecu controlling timing to a standard MSD6AL if needing to retain dizzy and single coil.

Cheers,
Jason
BOBLOOK

Post by BOBLOOK »

oh okay i will only use it for na for now ;) no turbo i have my microtech efi with x4 box already waiting for installation ;)
BOBLOOK

Post by BOBLOOK »

NME308 wrote:I used the MSD6AL-2 programmable ignition with map sensor on my 3TC turbo engine for a couple of years.
It is marginal for functionality... :?
The mapping for ignition is 2D only which I found terrible for my turbo charged application. By that I mean you only get to set ignition mapping by MAP sensor so regardless of rpm you only set one ignition timing figure for a given PSI(Kpa) figure.

I prefer an old/cheap ecu controlling timing to a standard MSD6AL if needing to retain dizzy and single coil.

Cheers,
Jason
I review the software yesterday but the microtech itself you can set the timing by rmp increments, for the retard you only can use the HG/PSI mode. What was re problem you faced by trying to set the curve ?
NME308

Post by NME308 »

Hi Boblook,
My whinge with the MSD6AL-2 software is the 2D mapping.
For 30PSI boost you can program (for example) 28 degrees timing. Regardless of whether you see 30PSI at 3000rpm through 7500rpm there is only one timing figure you can tell the engine...

I prefer to be able to set timing by reference to both RPM & boost i.e. at 30PSI & 3000rpm I may want 23 degrees timing & at 30PSI & 7500rpm I may want 28 degrees timing. I feel 3D mapping is a distinct advantage on a small displacement hi performance engine & even more so when it is boosted. :-)

I find MSD gear to be extremely agricultural & hence superbly suited to excessive cubic inch American V8's!! :lol:

Cheers,
Jason
mikealike

Post by mikealike »

its limited with most of our applications.
Tuner, Builder and Racer. Hit me up for all you needs 2/3tc, 3SGTE or 2RZ custom fabbed parts.
Paypal luzunaris99@gmail.com
BOBLOOK

Post by BOBLOOK »

Oh okay i was about to run it NA only anyway lol

Thanks jason
toyotero2dend

Post by toyotero2dend »

Been searching for one of those and not even used arent cheap :shock: my boy got his for $200. Lucky him
Tate Quieto
BOBLOOK

Post by BOBLOOK »

toyotero2dend wrote:Been searching for one of those and not even used arent cheap :shock: my boy got his for $200. Lucky him
Got that set for 170$ local new are they almost 400$
toyotero2dend

Post by toyotero2dend »

You r one lucky guy Bob ;)
Tate Quieto