Help Identifying Issues

Here's where you post EFI and TURBO conversion, configurations, and questions related.

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

12PeeSEye

Help Identifying Issues

Post by 12PeeSEye »

Hi all, I have a built 3tgte at 12lbs boost with custom cams and custom pistons, and probably ported heads.

The setup is current in a sand rail and I'm having issues with it at the dunes. I bought the car in southern cali last april where it has lived since it was put together in 1997. I live in southern utah and this year was the coldest in years. For storage I put new oil in it, new coolant a few hours of run time before storage, a full tank of gas and stabil.

Oil pressure and water temp are good.

These are the current issues:
Struggles at idle after idling for 2-3 minutes while warm. Makes clunk noise somewhere in the crankcase.
Revved to 2-3k then let the clutch out fast or slow and it dies to 900 rpm and wants to die.
Once it does get going, there is major loss of power and will not gain rpms.
If i hold it long enough and it gets up to speed, it sits and chokes at 4000 rpm and stops building boost. While at 4000, if i let the throttle out and jam it wide open again it goes to 6500 (current redline) no problem.

My plan is to check spark plugs, check oxy sensor, check/clean MAF, and run techron through it if the injectors are gummed up.

Any other ideas of what could be wrong? My ECU has the check engine light on but theres no obd port to plug in to.
BOBLOOK

Re: Help Identifying Issues

Post by BOBLOOK »

Check your water temperature sensor cold start need some extra fuel and timing advance the sensor tell the ecu to adjust.

Simple test is when engine is hot remove the water temp plug rpm should go up in rpm if tempsens is working
The day we learn to think
12PeeSEye

Post by 12PeeSEye »

well so far, added a better inline fuel filter, o2 sensor is good, cleaned the MAF, mixed the gas to 100 octane, put in some 44k, and its running a lot smoother and at the right rpm for idle. sand test tomorrow.
mikealike

Post by mikealike »

12PeeSEye wrote:well so far, added a better inline fuel filter, o2 sensor is good, cleaned the MAF, mixed the gas to 100 octane, put in some 44k, and its running a lot smoother and at the right rpm for idle. sand test tomorrow.
it would run alot smoother with an after market efi system on it. I had the best time with the 3tgte with the factory cams and just pistons and rods. Great Engine
Tuner, Builder and Racer. Hit me up for all you needs 2/3tc, 3SGTE or 2RZ custom fabbed parts.
Paypal luzunaris99@gmail.com