3TC Turbo ?'s

Webers, Cam selection and Ignition upgrades.

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

BOBLOOK

Re: 3TC Turbo ?'s

Post by BOBLOOK »

Wow sound mean any run vid ?
The day we learn to think
Toyota1515

Post by Toyota1515 »

toyotero2dend wrote:Look runs 9.7s on the 1/4 mile witha celica tranny and makes close to 500 hp check the vids. This means the trany holds power. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6R_Yn5-5w6 ... TPpoHGJJBM
Yeap, metal case Celica tranny's can hold up to mid to low 9's before they just fell apart and chew themselves from the inside-out, and what kill them is not the POWER, is the shock and torque!
SF5 FOZZY
Mazota TE51

Post by Mazota TE51 »

I am in the process of building a Turbo 3tc and I have a set of stock 3sgte pistons. My question is should I use these pistons or should I get forged pistons. It will be strictly turbo no NOS. Is it beneficial to knife edge the crank on this engine. The hp goal is somewhere around the 300-350 mark but do not want to be running the engine to the extremes if you know what I mean.
NME308

Post by NME308 »

Mazota TE51 wrote:I am in the process of building a Turbo 3tc and I have a set of stock 3sgte pistons. My question is should I use these pistons or should I get forged pistons. It will be strictly turbo no NOS. Is it beneficial to knife edge the crank on this engine. The hp goal is somewhere around the 300-350 mark but do not want to be running the engine to the extremes if you know what I mean.
Hi there,
The stock 3SGTE pistons will hold your power goal with ease!

As far as knife edging the crank, I have not ever done this even on my V8's pulling 8000rpm on the shift. It is usually done in the quest for the last thousandth of a second... On an engine pulling crazy rpm's it probably also helps in oil control thanks to less turbulance from the crank.

300 - 350RWHP can be romped in with very basic parts, mild cam, and no headwork if one is on a tight budget. ;) The 3TC and the turbo were born for each other!

Cheers,
Jason
Mazota TE51

Post by Mazota TE51 »

I ask about knife edging because we did it on a 7mgte with a t76 and acceleration was very quick. I was wondering if this was done on a 3tc and if it was effective.
hemilove

Post by hemilove »

Ofcourse it would be very affective let me let you in on a little secret here the reason why the 3tc is so good is bc of the flow of the head if you look at top fuel dragsters they use the hemi head concept religiously and to make things even better the produce the most power than any engine design out there we are a direct replica of the 426 hemi on head design and with boost are you kidding me back when the 2tc came out not many 4cyl engines could keep up with the power output nor torque of these little monsters and thats at 8.5:1 compression 1.6 l now shave the head better cam and a good 4 barrel carb you would fly now we moved up with a 1.8 remember no replacement for displacement boost is the key o. This engine the more the better plus a good spark you will fly btw im gunna dyno soon guys
Mazota TE51

Post by Mazota TE51 »

Have you tried knife edging or is this just a speculation. No disrespect. For example on the 7m the engines acceleration was quick Aswell as deceleration. The car was very light on its feet even though it had a t76 we were all really impressed with the combo.