The Golf Ball shaped pistons in 2TC TE56 Project build.

Webers, Cam selection and Ignition upgrades.

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

73GTV

The Golf Ball shaped pistons in 2TC TE56 Project build.

Post by 73GTV »

I have owned both the 2TG and the 3TC engines and with modifications the 3TC comes alive. The 2TG still has the cool factor. (Still my favorite)

However there was an engine that has been overlooked. the 1976 E/5 Corolla (California Only Model) made from late model year 1975 - Early 1976, one year only. why was this engine so special you might ask. These Pistons.

2TC 3TC 2TG

If you just bolted on a pair of ($25.00) 2TB Carburetors to this setup or a pair of side drafts to this engine with no other modification except a good tune-up, take care of that air pump and added a cable accelerator (10 speed bike brake cable - what, It was an experiment). Passed a New Jersey emission test with these twin carburetors installed and I think I still have my paperwork... somewhere. (Note: I placed these next to each other and aligned the piston ring into the groove of the other piston.)

This car would fly. These pistons were designed to raise the compression with the new air pump system to allow enough power to get down the road and maybe with a maximum of 75 miles per hour (mph) and still meet the california emissions pre cat.

However with added fuel and air, there was enough of a performance increase coupled with that 5 speed to turn this economy 5-speed into a screaming demon. I'm getting older now but, but back in 1982, you don't forget 80 miles an hour, third gear low RPMS (Idle RPMS), cruzing and then you step on it and a whole new meaning of walk away from the car next to you watching it fade in your rear view mirror. My brother in law having laughing fits because the owner of that rear engine driven german car (Hint: not VW) caught up to us at the next rest area, screaming, what kind of engine do you have under that hood!

With the stock air cleaner in place, you couldn't tell that it was a twin Carb 2TB. Awaken that beast. It wasn't until recently that I found that same model Toyota Corolla E/5 engine in the bone-yard, took it apart and found these Pistons.

So rare are these pistons that it has taken me a few years to find them for sale. 2TC 1588 mm.

Repco: Part Number RY6069 .030
Toyota Part Number: 13101-26021

I'll share since I just purchased mine from Dana Motors. He has a few set left. http://www.brent@danamotorssac.com

Dana Motors
2319 Lexington Street
Sacramento Ca. 95815
916-920-0150
Last edited by 73GTV on Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.
73GTV

Re: Have anybody else used the Golf Ball shaped pistons in 2

Post by 73GTV »

Here are pictures of the 3TG piston, do you notice a similar design, aka Lower compression versions of the Golf-ball shaped piston only with the valve relieves on both sides.

Last edited by 73GTV on Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
hemilove

Post by hemilove »

Very interesting set up
toyotero2dend

Post by toyotero2dend »

This sounds interesting but I have a question,,, with the piston being that tall what you do about the valves? I was running 11.1 compression on my starlets engine and the pistons had to get notched and those look taller than the 11.1 and you do not mention notch the piston do they get notched?? I'm just curious
Tate Quieto
slaus

Post by slaus »

THere was a guy who was previously on the old 3TC garage website who did a draw through turbo 2TC with the same golf ball pistons and engle ep-28 camshaft and ran high 11's on 25 psi boost.
skellington

Post by skellington »

I think my 76 te31 has these in it. I could see their weird shape through the sparkplug hole with a light. Its a CA smog version.
73GTV

Post by 73GTV »

skellington wrote:I think my 76 te31 has these in it. I could see their weird shape through the sparkplug hole with a light. Its a CA smog version.
I believe that your car may be the same model, Look at the info inside your door and it should say California only and you should not have a cat attached to your exhaust if memory serves me correctly.
73GTV

Post by 73GTV »

toyotero2dend wrote:This sounds interesting but I have a question,,, with the piston being that tall what you do about the valves? I was running 11.1 compression on my starlets engine and the pistons had to get notched and those look taller than the 11.1 and you do not mention notch the piston do they get notched?? I'm just curious
These were stock pistons, no modification was performed by me. I would like to see the cam for this model year again. I'll have to look up that part number and compare my set of Cams.
73te27

Post by 73te27 »

Every 75/76 with the press in oil cap and the 5 qt oil pan had them when I pulled the head. Not saying its 100% but probably 4 out of 4 for me. Hawaii is different from cali though. Never seen a new 2 dr TE72 sedan sold in Hawaii but Cali had loads. On the other side, Hawaii had 78/79 TE37's but I dont think Cali did or they were not very common.
73GTV

The Golf Ball shaped pistons in 2TC

Post by 73GTV »

Someone posted that these were 9.0:1 compression pistons. (Ring catalog may hold the answers I needed)

Page 205 11-146.

Page 238 top left corner Item 11-146. Now we have the specifications for all of these piston available for this engine... You are welcome!

Page 227 explains the measurements that the piston is listed by. The length is listed above each example. (L = 99.4 mm)

http://www.gjparts.com/products/pistons ... atalog.pdf