Car been sitting for months. Cranks, but won't start up.

Webers, Cam selection and Ignition upgrades.

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

WAGNTE72

Car been sitting for months. Cranks, but won't start up.

Post by WAGNTE72 »

Car: 1980 Toyota Corolla Wagon.

3tc w/ Dual Weber 40 Carbs.
MSD 6AL & Blaster 2 Coil.

When it sits for a few months. It'll crank and turn over. Let it run/idle for half an hour and let it sit. (My fault since I was busy with work and having a newborn.) This is probably the longest it's been sitting (4-5 months). Nothing's changed at all to anything. Tried cranking. Just keeps cranking and won't turn over. Sprayed starter fluid into the carb. It'll cough once or twice, but go back to cranking. Changed spark plugs since the old ones were black and smelt like fuel. Flooded w/ gas i'm guessing. Tried advancing the distributor for a quick kick, but same results. Any quick ideas/tips to check for?
baldo

Post by baldo »

If a car does not start its usually fuel or spark. Did you check if you are getting fuel? Do the carbs have fuel? ......
WAGNTE72

Post by WAGNTE72 »

There's spark. There's fuel going to the carbs. Fuel pressure's fine since my old line had a laceration and saw fuel squirting out. Fixed it and still the same problem. Friend told me "stale fuel." So i'm gonna try and drain it out and fill it up with new fuel. Any other recommendations?
WAGNTE72

Post by WAGNTE72 »

Update:

Sprayed my weber carbs with starter fluid. Cranked it again and it coughed. Pumped my gas pedal and kept that cough alive to where it turned on. But it wouldn't idle steady. Had to keep pumping my gas pedal to keep it revving. If i let it go, the car just sputters and dies out again. Checked my fuel lines. Everything had gas pouring out. I'm stumped at this point.