AIR injection to the cat?

Webers, Cam selection and Ignition upgrades.

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

blakteky

AIR injection to the cat?

Post by blakteky »

I have an 82 TE72 and I'm trying to order a new catalytic converter. I'm finding most come with an 'air tube'. From what I've read, the air tube is a way for the 3-way carb to have air injected via the air pump for cleaner emissions (right now that's the name of the game). The question is, outside of the line that sends air to the exhaust ports in the head there isn't a provision for connecting the air system to catalytic converter! So if I ordered this air-tube equipped catalytic conver, how could I hook it up correctly? Does anyone else have an airtube hooked up in their Corolla?

That tube in this pic is what I'm talking about, but magnaflow is calling it a "Heat Sensor Probe" which doesn't make very much sense. :?

blakteky

Re: AIR injection to the cat?

Post by blakteky »

Okay, I was at work when doing the research, when I got home I checked the Haynes book. They call it the 'Air Suction' system and the line is meant to run up to the stock air cleaner (Mine has a weber).

Here's the excerpt from Haynes:
Air Suction (AS) System: [shouldn't it be ASS?]
Additional air is needed to aid the oxidation of HC and CO in the catalytic converter. The air suction valve is a simple reed type valve that opens when vacuum is present in the exhaust system. When open, air is drawn into the exhaust to aid the converter with the oxidation process.

So I will be ordering the cat with the 'Heat Sensor Probe' and leave it to open atmosphere. When there is vacuum in the exhaust it can suck up whatever air is next to the cat. If I'm feeling like overdoing it, I might buy one of those little cone filters that people stick in their PCV holes after doing an emissions delete and hose clamping it to the 'Heat sensor probe' tube to keep little six/eight leggers and dust out of my new cat.
cousin eddy

Re: AIR injection to the cat?

Post by cousin eddy »

I blocked off the head ports on mine by silver soldering plugs into the stock injection rail but after switching to a 72 head they come with a rail that's pinched closed so I run that. For the car I just bent up some brake line (3/8's) and used a silicone hose from maremont to attach them together. The brake line hooks to the air pump via a reduction off the air pump valve that keeps back flow from happening.