How to tune your carb for more HP?

Webers, Cam selection and Ignition upgrades.

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

Kenny727

How to tune your carb for more HP?

Post by Kenny727 »

Id like to learn what techniques makes your carb give you more hp?
I think this is just a webber 2bbl right?
What about a carb spacer?? (check out my last post)
Carb
Carb
carb.jpg (21.67 KiB) Viewed 12619 times
Carb pic 2
Carb pic 2
carb 2.jpg (22.78 KiB) Viewed 12619 times

Edit: Added pictures, and I also fixed the other problem. just looking for how to make hp.
Last edited by Kenny727 on Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:56 am, edited 4 times in total.
baldo

Re: How to tune your carb for more HP

Post by baldo »

Well for your headline it will be to dyno it. Second, what carb are you talking about. Third the car should turn on without that coil in it. So try to turn it so it will be fully open. Then when the car goes on you play with the rest. All that does is control the cold start. Some cars dont use or they take it off. So you have another problem. Pictures are worth..........
Kenny727

Re: How to tune your carb for more HP

Post by Kenny727 »

okay I fixed that problem with the spring.. im not starting because the relay that was being used to start the car went out...

but anyways its a webber 2 barrel. Ill upload pictures here to the first post soon
Kenny727

Re: How to tune your carb for more HP?

Post by Kenny727 »

Ive been hearing that a carb spacer help by reducing the heat transfer and well you heard it all.
I see there's already an adapter plate on the bottom of the carb
I work at a fab shop and can make a spacer if there's a reason to use it.
How large should I go?
and what side? Closest to carb or closest to IM?
BOBLOOK

Post by BOBLOOK »

That while improve the mileage but other then that horsepower gain will not be feeling able ;)
The day we learn to think
Kenny727

Post by Kenny727 »

I deffinitly know anyone would not feel that difference. I would throw the spacer on just for reliability and the 1.2 HP gain can go to gas mileage
Kenny727

Post by Kenny727 »

How about the carb jets? Can I put in a bigger jet?
My thought is
Bigger. Jets = more fuel so more hp?, or
Bigger jets = more fuel so I just run rich?
baldo

Post by baldo »

Ok dude, if you want the most power out of your engine a dyno is what you are looking for. Why? That will set the carb to the max power of your engine thats capable. If you could just put big jets and air to make HP we will all have 250 gas jets 300 air. The bigger the engine, cam ,intake, spark exhaust blah blah blah the more power. If you are looking for power just from a carb I have bad news. The most power you are going to get was when you took out the stock carb and put the weber on. You need to upgrade lots of parts to get good HP, not just a carb.
Kenny727

Post by Kenny727 »

Okay awesome, now since I'm new to carburettors in general..

What are the best carb (IF you can, list specs) to get for these?Pretty much just upgraded exhaust. I want as much HP as possible without losing drivability.
Other good carbs?
How does a carb fit? Intake manifold<1bbl /to 2bbl<2 BBL
Or... Intake manifold<3tc/holly 4bbl<4bbl carb
Pretty much do the adapers sell by bbl size or specific carbs?
baldo

Post by baldo »

Maybe it will help if you say that you dont know about carbs that much from the beginning. I dont think you get it. You can put 6 carbs on a car and after you tune them the car will run the same. Again, carbs do not = HP! "I want as much HP as possible without losing drivability." Mustang and Corvettes are making 500 600 HP on the street stock. And you are talking about changing a carb and not lose drivability? Do you get that you need to change other things to make HP. I mean what is wrong with your set up now? Its not fast enough? Then get a cam. Build a head. Leave the carb alone. That is not your HP problem. Its not like somebody can tell you a carb trick or set up and make 200HP. Just not going to happen.