Weber Jetting for economy

Webers, Cam selection and Ignition upgrades.

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

GrymReaper

Weber Jetting for economy

Post by GrymReaper »

Ok, I have a 81 TE72 wagon, 3TC with stock Aisin carb I bought as a daily driver project. The car runs like a top but I have been fighting dismal gas mileage from day one. It gets between 14-16mpg no matter what I do. I have changed plugs & wires, rebuilt the carb, checked EGR operation, checked the evap for proper operation, done my best to sniff out vacuum leaks (found a leaking vacuum advance and replaced it), set my idle adjustments (this never quite seems to go right), messed with the choke adjustment (this just made things worse)...basically everything I can think of or read about on the internets to make this stupid carb get something resembling decent mileage without success. So I'm officially at the point where I say screw this mess and install a Weber. Any MPG gain at this point will be worth it, this is like the same MPG I got in my old 69 Malibu with a small block 350 in it!

Got a Weber 32/36 DGAV for a very reasonable price off of a co-worker, I'm a fresh rebuild, an adapter plate and a fuel regulator away from parking the old girl and making the swap. So, for all you Weber enthusiasts out there, what sort of jetting would work best to get max economy out of this carb? I haven't dug in her to see what's in there now but if anyone has any recommendations that work well for them I'd love to hear them.

Also, I want to eventually swap the leaking A40 with the bad output shaft bearing for an A40D (I know, not a 5 speed? The wife will eventually be driving this and she wants an automatic), so if anyone has a lead on a rebuildable A40D in the Pacific NW please let me know!
bubbajohnson

Re: Weber Jetting for economy

Post by bubbajohnson »

Please read my weber jetting post to start with and every basic weber tuning site you can fine! (There are tons of them on the web.) I put together my list of jetting to help people find a baseline. All the cars on my list are fully functional, street driven and tested over long periods of time. The stocker cars with 32/36 all got/get between 21-24mpg city and up to about 28 on the highway. I always try to tune for overall driving/performance, rather then pure economy, but hopefully this helps as you can check whats in your carb and get an idea where to go next. :D
http://3tcgarage.com/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=142
GrymReaper

Re: Weber Jetting for economy

Post by GrymReaper »

Right on, thanks for the starting point. I know getting this carb to where I want it will be a process, but it looks like that stock 3tc in your post will be a good jumping off point.