3sgte rwd conversion

Webers, Cam selection and Ignition upgrades.

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

BOBLOOK

3sgte rwd conversion

Post by BOBLOOK »

How hard is to make this 3sgte rwd conversion for rwd setup what tranny work best also what serie 3sgte you need to look for 3 gen ??
The day we learn to think
slaus

Re: 3sgte rwd conversion

Post by slaus »

Check with Mikealike bro, he's the man
BOBLOOK

Post by BOBLOOK »

He shall chim in later to check am out of option here in europe for engine conversion
Toyota1515

Post by Toyota1515 »

You need a Toyota V6 stick shift tranny bellhousing or the whole tranny if is a rwd only, that save you half of the trouble, as 3Sgte and the VZ-E v6 engines share the same bellhousing patterns.
SF5 FOZZY
BOBLOOK

Post by BOBLOOK »

we don't have that much option here in Netherlands is sucks sometime you do have option other then pay expensive shipping to get what you need .
Toyota1515 wrote:You need a Toyota V6 stick shift tranny bellhousing or the whole tranny if is a rwd only, that save you half of the trouble, as 3Sgte and the VZ-E v6 engines share the same bellhousing patterns.
AE25

Post by AE25 »

all the rwd toyota bell housings that are easily adapted to the 3sg will upright it, meaning the oil pickup and sump need changing. also when uprighting, the engine oil collects on the exhaust side of the head due to the oil drains being on the intake side. you'll need to account for this with extra oil or an external oil drain like the rwd beams 3sge. some people use an accusump or even drysump if you're serious like the kit cars. I've seen so many run bearings from converted engines and they're usually oblivious to the oil surge issue.
The 1s/2s/4s or 1c/2c diesel bell housing will bolt up. starter on the exhaust side.
The 2y/3y/4y bellhousing needs one of the top holes slotted and it'll bolt up. starter on the intake side.
Both types can be sourced from a hiace van with G52 type gearbox which will fit the supra w55 alloy box. the rwd 1s/2s were available in sa60 celica/carina and st141 corona (but some are t50 gearbox which is too weak for boosted 3sg). the 4s-fe come in rwd sx80 mark2.
There is only one rwd 3s i know of apart from the altezza. that is a 3sfe sr40/sr50 liteace noah. according to the epc only one of those chassis mentioned had manual gearbox available and im not sure yet if it is G or W series box. Ive never come across one yet.
Theres many combinations of starters and modifications to make each bell work. plenty info on toymods.org.au . the problem with the oem bell housings is the input shaft doesn't reach the 3s spigot bearing. easy solution is run the altezza beams 3sge aftermarket flywheel which has the spigot bearing in the flywheel. or use a double row bearing that sticks out further. some people mill metal off the front of the bellhousing but that affects gbox mount position and driveshaft length and also need to check for clutch fork angle etc.
The altezza 3sge j160 6speed will fit and i hear will handle a mildly boosted 3sgte.

newer engine versions make more power. gen3 from st205 celica is where things got alot better with the smallport head. the st215 caldina gt-t had coil on plug ignition with crank angle sensors which makes for a tidier install. (no distributor hanging off the back). the gen 1 & 2 are bigport engines which weren't as powerful. If you are going for big power then look for the later block that has extra metal at the front corner. somewhere around gen3 or 4 had this to cure a cracking problem. And also if going for big power, do a sonic test on the block to check for core shift because it's known that some bores have a thin wall.
Also research into which ones deleted the engine mounts on the side of the block. some where in the later ones the usual rwd mounting boss positions changed.
All of them have water for the radiator out the back of the head which needs either firewall mods or custom parts.

Here the gen2's are the cheapest from st185 and sw20. the st215 caldina's are plentiful on the road but their engines still fetch good money.
AE25

Post by AE25 »

oh and how much power you wanting to make? the w55 style box is great for the street but if you're making good power and running slicks at a drag strip then you may want to consider the r154 box or something stronger from another manufacturer.
BOBLOOK

Post by BOBLOOK »

Thanks for your input i have to look true it i sort out which option i will go
mikealike

Post by mikealike »

AE25 wrote:all the rwd toyota bell housings that are easily adapted to the 3sg will upright it, meaning the oil pickup and sump need changing. also when uprighting, the engine oil collects on the exhaust side of the head due to the oil drains being on the intake side. you'll need to account for this with extra oil or an external oil drain like the rwd beams 3sge. some people use an accusump or even drysump if you're serious like the kit cars. I've seen so many run bearings from converted engines and they're usually oblivious to the oil surge issue.
The 1s/2s/4s or 1c/2c diesel bell housing will bolt up. starter on the exhaust side.
The 2y/3y/4y bellhousing needs one of the top holes slotted and it'll bolt up. starter on the intake side.
Both types can be sourced from a hiace van with G52 type gearbox which will fit the supra w55 alloy box. the rwd 1s/2s were available in sa60 celica/carina and st141 corona (but some are t50 gearbox which is too weak for boosted 3sg). the 4s-fe come in rwd sx80 mark2.
There is only one rwd 3s i know of apart from the altezza. that is a 3sfe sr40/sr50 liteace noah. according to the epc only one of those chassis mentioned had manual gearbox available and im not sure yet if it is G or W series box. Ive never come across one yet.
Theres many combinations of starters and modifications to make each bell work. plenty info on toymods.org.au . the problem with the oem bell housings is the input shaft doesn't reach the 3s spigot bearing. easy solution is run the altezza beams 3sge aftermarket flywheel which has the spigot bearing in the flywheel. or use a double row bearing that sticks out further. some people mill metal off the front of the bellhousing but that affects gbox mount position and driveshaft length and also need to check for clutch fork angle etc.
The altezza 3sge j160 6speed will fit and i hear will handle a mildly boosted 3sgte.

newer engine versions make more power. gen3 from st205 celica is where things got alot better with the smallport head. the st215 caldina gt-t had coil on plug ignition with crank angle sensors which makes for a tidier install. (no distributor hanging off the back). the gen 1 & 2 are bigport engines which weren't as powerful. If you are going for big power then look for the later block that has extra metal at the front corner. somewhere around gen3 or 4 had this to cure a cracking problem. And also if going for big power, do a sonic test on the block to check for core shift because it's known that some bores have a thin wall.
Also research into which ones deleted the engine mounts on the side of the block. some where in the later ones the usual rwd mounting boss positions changed.
All of them have water for the radiator out the back of the head which needs either firewall mods or custom parts.

Here the gen2's are the cheapest from st185 and sw20. the st215 caldina's are plentiful on the road but their engines still fetch good money.
This is what i did!!! Nice write up
Tuner, Builder and Racer. Hit me up for all you needs 2/3tc, 3SGTE or 2RZ custom fabbed parts.
Paypal luzunaris99@gmail.com
superhoeper

Post by superhoeper »

Bringing this thread back from the dead. I'm planing on doing a 3sgte swap in my te38. I know what bell housing and transmission I'm gonna use, but I'm having troubles figuring out what version of the engine I want to use. Are any of them easier to use for rwd? From what I've read you can use the 2s oil pan and pickup on a gen 1-3 3sgte. Dose anyone know if the 2s pan and pickup will fit on the gen 4 3sgte? Every generation has its ups an downs. The 4th gen is very bitter sweet. The COP is awesome. The turbo exhaust housing being cast into the manifold sucks since you can't just flip the turbo around. Version 3 is the most powerful with a distributor but the block is weak. And versions 1 and 2 are super easy to find parts for (and cheap to) here in the states but they're outdated and don't make as much power with the bigport heads. So what do you guys suggest?