tranny options te31

Webers, Cam selection and Ignition upgrades.

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

skunk1

tranny options te31

Post by skunk1 »

i did search. i have a t50, car came with one, and had two spares. my problem is i keep ripping them to shreds, i was going to use a w58 but was wondering how far back the shifter becomes and if i will need to cut and modify the transmission tunnel. now this would not be a problem except my car is full interior and mint, and i dont want a shifter where the e-brake lever is. on the other hand there are no early t50 trannys anymore, or at least where im at, or if there are when i do find them people ask more than the w58's. i was going to get the adapter plate and use my bellhousing, and i have read i use my flywheel and pressure plate, but a different disk, not too clear from all the reading, there are like 3 different posts i just read and all 3 said different setups. the main thing is what happens to the shifter location in a te31, mine is a 78 2tc.

ps: this has gotten to be such a problem i have considered detuning the car, which probably will not happen; or even doing a full engine/tranny swap (beams), as it would only be a little bit more than w58, adapter, clutch/flywheel setup, and make a new driveshaft.

thanks,
skunk1
7t5-27

Re: tranny options te31

Post by 7t5-27 »

I have a T50 behind my TG original since 75 and have not had any trouble at all with my tranny. you might check the whole drive line and ensure there is not anything that would cause the demise of the tranny. as always smoothness counts we can tear up anything if we try hard enough.
Greg
PS where are you? general location under your screen name helps sometimes
its a TA 27 not a TE 27
skunk1

Post by skunk1 »

im in austin, tx. im putting out around 160hp, and the cam only likes above 3500, lol. everything has been built, and its good.
7t5-27

Post by 7t5-27 »

That's interesting I don't know what the power on my tg is I do know that it too is far from stock I hope that what you are experiencing is not the norm nor is contagious I do have however a w58 and a 3tgte bell housing to put in the car but I was saving it to apply with the boosted tg I am collecting parts for I have recently switched from 44mm mikunis to sdsefi to try and learn efi tuning so that when I do build the boosted motor I have a base line of tuning knowledge and do not start with turbo motor cold turkey. Good luck with your search
Greg
its a TA 27 not a TE 27
skunk1

Post by skunk1 »

I dont think its normal, just drag launching it has not been kind to it. I have switched the car more to road use to save on the tranny. Everyone thinks I have itb's cause kids these days dont know carbys. Kids these days.
7t5-27

Post by 7t5-27 »

The only times I have ever broken a transmission was pulling hole shots or hard shifts at high rpms, I don't do those things any longer I will push it to 7500 at times but the shifts are smooth as I can make them, at that rpm the engine will stay on the cams as long as I stay in the gas. Smoothness counts to be sure.
Greg
its a TA 27 not a TE 27
skunk1

Post by skunk1 »

for sure, i think it was the hard launches that was killing them, but either way i am still looking for the mysteriously rare early t50, or needing to know where the shifter will be if i have to use the w58 in a te31.

come on i know someone has a pic of their shifter location that has swapped one, or known of one?