NME308's 3TC Turbo TA23 Celica

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

NME308

Re: NME308's 3TC Turbo TA23 Celica

Post by NME308 »

Thanks Mikealike!

For the weekend I had the BOV mounted, finished my sync sensor doohickey, mounted the crank trigger wheel & sensor, mounted the crankcase puke tank, mounted the carb crutch air pump, & modified the Garrett wastegate actuator to suit the current turbo clocking... Munted thumb didn't hold me back too much! :D

Cheers,
Jason
72te27

Post by 72te27 »

Inspiring creativity! I'm enjoying the build.
Where did you get the taller oil pump internals, i.e., the higher volume gears? For that matter, who
did your oil pump spacer? Local machine shop? Thanks for the thread and info.
NME308

Post by NME308 »

72te27 wrote:Inspiring creativity! I'm enjoying the build.
Where did you get the taller oil pump internals, i.e., the higher volume gears? For that matter, who
did your oil pump spacer? Local machine shop? Thanks for the thread and info.
Thank you!
I robbed the gears from an 18RG oil pump and had a local machine shop A) fit the inner gear to the T series shaft and B) make the spacer.

Cheers,
Jason
elvarto

Post by elvarto »

my english is bad but let me say you, you are great .I have ra22 celica 18r-c ,I think put 3tc turbo carb ,what gearbox is better w58 or w55 ,what diff use ,I want to make 400hp if possible,what turbo, whit this power it could handle in street, thank you for reading this
NME308

Post by NME308 »

elvarto wrote:my english is bad but let me say you, you are great .I have ra22 celica 18r-c ,I think put 3tc turbo carb ,what gearbox is better w58 or w55 ,what diff use ,I want to make 400hp if possible,what turbo, whit this power it could handle in street, thank you for reading this
Hi Elvarto,
Great to hear from another celica enthusiast!

The best of the W series gearboxes has the steel sandwich plate between the main body and tail housing. I believe most of the W55, W57, and W58 gearboxes had this feature later in the model life. This forum has a good picture showing the steel sandwich just a little way down: http://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-400- ... ppage.html The only other differences to note are the gear ratio's are slightly different between the boxes. So look for a W55, W57, or W58 with steel sandwich and if possible still in car so you can test drive to see how noisy or if it shifts nicely!

Early Hilux diff or Volvo diff is popular with the Celica crowd over here in Australia. I used a BorgWarner 28 spline diff from a R31 Nissan Skyline.

You might have noticed I love the BorgWarner turbo's and the S200sx would be right in the sweet spot for 400hp. I would choose the .84 turbine housing.

Cheers,
Jason
slaus

Post by slaus »

Jason if i didn't know better i'd say you're borrowing from me!! :lol:

Can't wait to see what your new setup does on the track!!!
NME308

Post by NME308 »

What can I say...?
Great minds think alike?? :lol:

How are you getting on with yours?

Cheers,
Jason
slaus

Post by slaus »

NME308 wrote:What can I say...?
Great minds think alike?? :lol:

How are you getting on with yours?

Cheers,
Jason
It's on a big pause right now!!

The car has been at the garage for the past 8 months waiting to get a roll cage and rear end installed. As we say here in Trinidadian colloquial terms, the mechanic "stickin"... :x Since then, I've removed the supercharger and Holley and put back in a 38/38 Weber until i get the car back..
Looking to do a draw through turbo setup with the same Holley on the 2TB and we'll see what happens..

Just a bit of advice on your setup, i tried what you did on my setup regarding how the piping is routed from the carb to the intake manifold and ran into some flow issues due to my bends being too sharp... So just watch out for that but from the looks of how you have it, you should be ok :)
NME308

Post by NME308 »

Thank you for the advice Slaus. What symptoms did you encounter and I assume said symptoms disappeared with a greater radius curve to the pipe? I will keep that sharp silicon bend in mind if there is any sign of issues.

Bugger about the mechanic stickin... :(
Should be good to see it with a turbo however!!

Cheers,
Jason
slaus

Post by slaus »

NME308 wrote:Thank you for the advice Slaus. What symptoms did you encounter and I assume said symptoms disappeared with a greater radius curve to the pipe? I will keep that sharp silicon bend in mind if there is any sign of issues.

Bugger about the mechanic stickin... :(
Should be good to see it with a turbo however!!

Cheers,
Jason
Basically, i deduced that due to the extreme radii i had on the previous setup, i experienced a "hold back" or extreme hesitation when i applied acceleration. I rerouted the piping with a greater radius as shown and that fixed it... I don't have a pic of how i had it before but the bend i had to my intake manifold was grossly, grossly sharp and restrictive in hindsight as the cross sectional area was greatly reduced at that point.. So from your setup, i think you will be ok....